LeBron James, on Heat trying to make history by coming back from a 3-1 Finals deficit: ‘Why not us?’

Jun 14, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

SAN ANTONIO — The Miami Heat are facing a deficit from which no team has managed to return in the history of the NBA Finals. But in the eyes of LeBron James, that’s more of an opportunity than it is an impossible mission.

“Why not us,” James said, when asked what his pregame message would be to his teammates before they took floor for Sunday night’s Game 5. “Why not us? History is broken all the time, and obviously we know we’re against the greatest of odds. No team has ever come back from a 3‑1 deficit in the Finals, but there was a point where no team came back from a 2‑0. There was a point where no team came back from a 3‑0. There was a point where no team came back from a 3‑1 deficit in the Western Conference Finals, and then Phoenix did it [against the Lakers in 2006]. One of our teammates was on that team, James Jones.

“There is a point where no team came back from a 3‑1 or 3‑0 deficit in the ALCS, and then the Red Sox did it against the Yankees,” James continued. “So history is made to be broken, and why not me be a part of it? That would be great. That would be a great story line, right? But we’ll see what happens. I’ve got to live in the moment, though, before we even get to that point.”

A very relaxed James spoke to reporters at the Spurs practice facility on Saturday, and was comfortable, engaging and conversational when answering every question that was asked. It was a far cry from the way he had handled the pressure of losing in the Finals just a few short years ago, and he admitted that getting over the championship hump was a huge relief that allows him to be more calm now in the face of such dire circumstances.

“Well, I mean, two championships helps that,” James said, when asked about seeming more even emotionally than he has in years past. “It helps it, for sure. But understanding what means a lot to me. Understanding what’s important and understanding what’s not important allows me to kind of just live in the moment and not focus on what’s happened in the past. I can’t control the past. I can’t redo it. I can live in the present, try to affect the future and live with the results while I’m in it.”

James isn’t being naive here; he knows as well as anyone just how much the odds are stacked against a Heat comeback in this series. But he’s managing to keep it all in perspective, which could help alleviate the pressure associated with an elimination game that could potentially affect his long-term legacy.

“I was extremely upset, sad, very emotional to myself after 3 and 4,” James said, when asked to explain his frame of mind and his apparent congenial state. “I mean, you ask me, all the bad emotions you could have. Today is a new day. I have another opportunity to help this team keep our season going.

“I’m in a good place in my life,” he said. “It’s basketball. I understand it’s the media and the sport is the greatest sport in the world. I love it. It’s done so many great things for me, but it’s just basketball. I go all into it, and I give everything to this game. But right after Game 4, I was in the ice tub in the locker room, and my two boys came running in there talking about let’s play some more basketball. I was like, If y’all don’t get away from me ‑‑ it’s the last thing I want to do right now.

“But it puts things in perspective, and I’m able to have a clear head about it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Raptors’ coach Dwane Casey says expect more small ball from the Raptors this year

Jul 29, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Getty Images

Toronto has shifted the roster to be more defensive, and be able to go smaller.

2. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

3. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

4. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

5. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

6. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

7. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

8. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

9. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

10. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

11. Mavericks sign Jamil Wilson, Brandon Ashley

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Washington Wizards vs New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri

12. Report: Serge Ibaka not yet cleared to play after March surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT

"Son Of The Congo" - 2015 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival Getty Images

Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game

13. Heat sign Josh Richardson

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddle AP

Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick

14. Nicolas Batum responds to Toronto rumor in hysterical fashion

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches