Dwyane Wade says health was not a factor in poor Game 4 performance

Jun 14, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Dwyane Wade Dwyane Wade

SAN ANTONIO – Dwyane Wade disappeared in Miami’s Game 4 loss to the Spurs, and his poor performance that saw him finish just 3-of-13 from the field and lag significantly on the defensive end appeared to be more than just a random off night.

Wade lacked any type of speed or explosiveness, and after a successful season-long maintenance program aimed at keeping his historically ailing knee healthy enough for a run into late June, it appeared to be failing him at the worst possible time.

Everything is just fine from a health standpoint, however, if Wade is to be believed. Speaking to reporters at the Spurs practice facility on Saturday, he said Game 4 was an aberration, and nothing more than a bad game where he simply missed shots.

“I was 3 for 13,” Wade said. “That doesn’t happen to me often. I’m a very high‑percentage shooter. Whenever something is that way, there is always something that’s pointed out. There’s nothing wrong. I got quality shots, I missed them. For whatever reason. They played good defense on some, some I missed. But that’s the nature of the game.”

Wade was pressed further on the issue, and was asked if he felt he was laboring a bit near the end of Game 4 — something that seemed apparent on both ends of the floor.

“No, man,” he said.  “It’s like I said, when you shoot 3 for 13, they can point at anything. I’m fine. Way better than I’ve been in a long time. There is nothing I point out at all. Last year I was on one leg and did all right. I’m totally fine, man. I didn’t play well in Game 4. Has nothing to do with my health at all.”

When Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra was asked about Wade’s health, he was a little less convincing.

“You’d have to ask him, but nobody’s going to make any excuses at this time,” Spoelstra said. “He wouldn’t want me to make one for him. I don’t think anybody that’s playing minutes at this time of year is feeling 100% and feeling spry and like they’re 16 years old.

“But that’s part of competition, how you manage everything, your body, your mind, manage frustration, manage elation, manage everything in between, and through all that trying to figure out how to get the job done. And so that’s been our focus. I know that’s Dwayne’s focus, as well.”

Overall the Heat appeared to be a relaxed and loose bunch, especially considering the fact that they’re facing elimination on Sunday, which would mean that a rare run at a title would be ultimately lost. Wade has faced similarly long odds before, and was part of a Miami team that came back from an 0-2 deficit to win it all back in 2006. He said that reflecting on the way that championship was won was certainly on his mind heading into Sunday’s critical Game 5 contest.

“I’ve thought about it,” Wade said. “We were down 2-0 and down 13 in Game 3 and won four in a row. You think about all of those things. You have to pull from your experiences and know where you came from to know where you’re trying to go.”

“We’re going to try to win a ballgame,” he said. “We’re going to try to keep this series alive.”

1. bucrightoff - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Where’s Biogenesis when he needs em?

• cantonbound13 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM

That’s the offseason maintenance plan. Dwhine Wade hasn’t been as consistent with that as LeBron.

2. cantonbound13 - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM

He’s done!

3. antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM

If any team can come back from this deficit, it’s this Heat team.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Now that’s funny! You should be happy if they come within 10 points. Get your excuses ready, like a true Heat “fan”.

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Well then I expect to be very happy.

As you know, LeBron is a force in elimination games. He is going to come out looking for his own offense and crashing the boards like a monster. 40 points, 18 rebounds?

• cantonbound13 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Um, that’s one game against an old Celtics team. He’s been shut down by Leonard. The only game they won Leonard was in foul trouble.

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:10 PM

James is averaging 28 pts on 60 percent shooting. You call that being “shut down”? lol.

One game against an old Celtics team? LeBron is the best elimination game player in the history of the sport. He has the highest scoring average in NBA history in elimination games. MJ is second. In fact, according to SI’s Ben Golliver, James has outperformed MJ in elimination games in scoring, rebounding and shooting percentage.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:14 PM

MJ wasn’t involved in many elimination games. He’s 6-0 in the Finals & not a single series went 7 games. So you’re ridiculous stat is a joke!

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:16 PM

MJ played in 13 elimination games, and this is going to be LeBron’s 13th.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 15, 2014 at 6:48 AM

MJ didn’t play them in his prime. He was winning Championships. LeBron wouldn’t score 10 points against those physical Piston teams, he can’t even finish a game due to PMS pains! Here’s a stat I’d like to see you spin: MJ’s Finals record: 24-10. Legina’s record 11-15!!!!! MJ didn’t team up with 2 of the best scores in the league!!!
        Please, enough with the comparisons to MJ, you’re embarrassing yourself!

• antistratfordian - Jun 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM

MJ won most of his championships past his prime.

• gatorfan1 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:23 PM

18 rebounds??? Has he EVER had 18 rebounds. I know Lebron fancies himself a point guard but he’s a forward. Only 1 time in his career has he ever averaged 8 rebounds a game. But Magic Johnson, who actually was a point guard had 3 years of over 8 rebounds a game with 1 year at 9.6. James has the body of the Predator but barely averages 7 rebounds a game. Superstars come cheap these days. In Bird’s last year basically crippled and could barely walk averaged 9.9 but hey Lebrick is the greatest that ever lived. What a joke!!!

• cantonbound13 - Jun 15, 2014 at 6:50 AM

LeBrick can’t even be compared to Larry, Magic or Kobe at this point, never mind the greatest ever in MJ. These bandwagon fans have no clue, after all they just started watching basketball 4 years ago.

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM

@gatorfan1

Yes, LBJ famously put up 40 pts, 18 reb and 9 ast on the road in the playoffs against the Pacers not too long ago. He had 19 rebounds in his final game as a Cavalier.

James averaged 10.9 reb in the Finals last year and 10.2 reb in the Finals the year before.

He averaged 30.3 pts and 9.7 reb in the playoffs in 2012. The only other players to do that in the modern era are Jabbar, O’Neal and Hakeem.

His ability to turn into the best rebounder in the game on command is one of the things that makes him so special.

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM

@gatorfan1

Also, understand that Bird played at a faster pace in the 80s. His stats benefitted from more possessions per game. But both James and Bird average 10 reb per 100 possessions on their careers.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 15, 2014 at 6:56 AM

The 80’s & 90’s had a lot more Hall of framers & legends playing than now. The current NBA doesn’t even have a quality center. In the 80s & 90s you had Kareem, Robinson, Olajuwon, Ewing, Mourning, Shaquille….legends like Bird, Magic, Isiah, Stockton, Barkley, Malone….. The level of competition didn’t compare to today! Back then the best players didn’t try to gather on one team either!

• antistratfordian - Jun 15, 2014 at 6:36 PM

That’s funny because in the mid to late 80s everyone was lamenting the demise of the center position. This was before Robinson was drafted – Kareem was on his last legs and the only center of quality that anybody saw was Hakeem.

The 90s certainly did not have hall of famers on the same team like we have now. This era is more like the 80s, with several teams loaded with multiple hall of famers. The 90s suffered from expansion, so the talent was diluted. A guy like MJ didn’t have to face a team like the Spurs in the 90s.

• mackcarrington - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I don’t understand this “faster pace” thing. They had the same shot clock right?
        What do you mean by “faster pace”?

• cantonbound13 - Jun 15, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Just an excuse, typical dumb bandwagon fan.

• chitownbrown - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I realize antistrat is a fan, but he said the Spurs would be lucky to win a game in Miami. Meanwhile, it looks like Miami wouldn’t be able to win a game on Pluto. It’s not so much that they are being beaten, but without the fixed officiating they really look like they suck.

• 1historian - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I’m a Slurs fan and I agree with him – it ain’t over till it’s over.

• jkirby317 - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM

nope.

wrong again. consistently wrong.

You got that goin’ for ya though.

Consistency.

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Winning three straight games in a playoff series against a championship caliber opponent? Been there, done that.

If any team can do it, it’s a team with James and Wade. They’ve both been written off before only to storm back, so no one should put it past them.

• jkirby317 - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I wouldn’t bet YOUR money on it.

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Remember how overconfident you were in the ECF when you said that LeBron was going to leave Miami in 3 games?

I have no doubt that you’re absolutely convinced that the Spurs are going to win the series. You’ll still feel confident about that after Game 5, and you’ll still feel confident about that after Game 6. I get it.

• jkirby317 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Just wait. Watching them get spanked makes me SO happy because I know it KILLS guys like you to look stupid…
        that is why you follow a “team” like LeBron. It should be easy. I’ll bet you like the Yankees too

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:14 PM

No, I don’t like the Yankees, I like the Mariners.

You’re a Pacers fan who has become a Spurs fan. Pot, meet kettle.

• jkirby317 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Nope. Pacers fan for life.
        I just LOVE seeing the HEAT lose because they beat MY TEAM. I get joy out of your pain.

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Well if that’s the case you haven’t been seeing much joy the last three years then. It remains to be seen whether this year will end up any different.

• jkirby317 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I thought you said you watched all 4 games. You shoulda seen that it is OVER.

• jkirby317 - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Looks like it has been seen.

• antistratfordian - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:41 PM

It isn’t real though. It will only be true when your Pacers beat the Heat. Then it will be quintessential joy, rather than this bittersweet, fleeting shadow of glee.

• jkirby317 - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:43 PM

The Heat won’t be a problem next season when LeBron leaves…

• antistratfordian - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:49 PM

You’ll be praying for that, I’m sure. But if he does leave, the team he joins is still going to be a roadblock for the Pacers.

• jkirby317 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM

did you follow Cano from the Yankees to the Mariners?
        Just like you will follow LeBron to_______.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:21 PM

jkirby37

Really? You wouldn’t bet his money on that?

Wow… makes me wonder about ya…

I’ll bet HIS money…

I don’t think it will happen but that’s OK as it wasn’t MY money that I lost betting, but his.

Oh, if the Heat did come back, I’d collect a good bit of money even though I risked nothing.

So, what you’re really saying kirby is that you do not like situations where YOU cannot lose any money and only win a lot (even though it’s a long shot).

Guess you LIKE to risk your money vs. being safe with it…

• jkirby317 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:38 PM

It wouldn’t even be worth finding someone to give HIS money too… The SPURS will dominate LBJ and his “team”

• cantonbound13 - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Spurs are 6 point favorites in Vegas. You should be proud, it’s under 20.

• antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Vegas has had a hard time picking the winner of these games.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM

That’s because they bought into the Heat hype.

• moppop - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Irrelevant to the topic at hand.

• mrhonorama - Jun 15, 2014 at 5:57 AM

There is a big flaw in this comeback theory. If you want to use stats, you should probably look at team stats too. By any measure, the Spurs came into the playoffs as the best team, which was reflected by their overall record. Then, in the playoffs, their offensive and defensive numbers were superior to Miami’s. This has been reflected in how the series has played out — but for a few breaks here or there, they’d already be planning a parade in San Antonio. The Spurs won Game 1 comfortably, built up an insurmountable lead in Game 3 and eviscerated the Heat in Game 4. Meanwhile, the Heat squeaked out a close one in Game 2.

What is notable is that once Pop put Diaw in the starting lineup, the Heat have not been able to find a counter. Thus, the Spurs have been finding great looks for the vast majority of their offensive possessions. Meanwhile, they’ve continued to tweak their defense, and have really gummed up the Heat.

Obviously, they still have to play the games. But it would take a tremendous turnaround for a Heat team that has been thoroughly outplayed to this point to win three in a row.

• antistratfordian - Jun 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM

The Heat weren’t “thoroughly outplayed” in half of the games (as long as James was on the floor).

If not for AC sabotage the Heat probably would’ve won the first two games.

And I don’t think the Spurs came into the playoffs as the best team, and they certainly weren’t the best team while in the playoffs.

They were fortunate in Miami, but that is difficult stuff to sustain, and now they’re already sounding satisfied – as if they already won. That is also dangerous.

But you have to understand that you’re not talking about some regular team when you talk about the Heat. Tradition and records and trends has never applied to them, so I don’t know why it would start now.

• spursareold - Jun 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM

When the Spurs win, anti will be screaming for a best 5 of 9.

• antistratfordian - Jun 15, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I will demand a Game 1 do-over due to AC shenanigans!

4. mackcarrington - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM

“No, it wasn’t my health.I’m just starting to suck a lot more.”

• jkirby317 - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM

More like:
      “I thought I flopped good out there tonight. I really threw my head back strong and made a stink face something fierce. The refs were just too good out there tonight. I’m gonna go back and look at the film and see if maybe I can use my mouth to make a loud grunty sound better to exaggerate a call and maybe foul out Leonard. Maybe look at which leg to kick Parker in. I will be the old me next game.”

• limonadamas - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Seriously… Agree on all counts. I just hope he doesn’t try to injure someone next game.

• chitownbrown - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Damn, jkirby, I can’t stop laughing at your post. Fantastic.

• davidly - Jun 15, 2014 at 6:26 AM

re. anti’s “faster pace” comment: He’s referring to the fact that — given the Heat’s inability to keep up with San Antonio’s offense — LBJ probably couldn’t’ve hung with the ’80’s teams.

• chitownbrown - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM

It will be a mental health thing this time. He will check into rehab for an addiction to being crappy or something.

5. moppop - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Old age.
    Health issues.
    Suddenly losing all ability to gather lift on close-range shots.

Pick two, and I really don’t think Wade’s capable of a Hibbert-level collapse, but if it’s not age or health, that’s the only thing left.

6. BrownsTown - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM

The glue factory called…..

7. rrhoe - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Sounds like somebody gonna be exercising their player option,no way he sees anymore $20mil a year contracts.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM

not related to Wade, but the Heat have “only” paid Lebron $67,135,000 in his 4 yrs there…

and the Heat got two titles back to back and 4 Finals appearances and all the revenue that goes with the extra home playoff games.

And the Knicks paid Melo the following for the past 4 seasons for just a tad bit less than 4 straight finals and back to back championships…

$77,525,291

MORE than $10 million more than LBJ…

Melo didn’t bring any league MVP’s either etc… etc..

and NO playoff money this season either….

• jimeejohnson - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM

You have to remember the Knicks are a LOSERS franchise. So they pay big bucks to less talented guys. It’s the New Yawk LOSER way!

8. jacobk621 - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:49 PM

@antistratrordian ,,, I’m just reading these posts as a neutral observer and it is really quite hilarious your battles tonight with @jkirby317 and @cantonbound13 and I have to say that they are laying the smack down on you ,, it’s not even close ,, your best bet is to let it go ,, the Spurs will no way in hell lose 3 straight to the heat ,, have some logic dude ,, you really believe this is gonna happen ?? Again I could care less who wins it but the more you ramble on with your excuses then I say seek some professional help ,,, immediately !!

• jimeejohnson - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:40 AM

You must be a hateful loser like the other pea brains. It’s easy for jealous punks.

9. cantonbound13 - Jun 15, 2014 at 7:07 AM

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Heat win tonight. It would be much sweeter to see the Spurs close them out in Miami in game 6. Nothing would be better than seeing the bandwagon fans leave early again with their heads down & tails between their legs, hahaha!!!!

10. robigd - Jun 15, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Hope this anti guy goes away for good after tonight. His homer optimism , and down right delusions me want to puke.

11. 5xchamp24 - Jun 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM

The only reason Miami won was because the refs decided with 6 mins left in the 4th quarter of game 3 with the Heat
    down 13, to call a foul on anybody who breathed on Wade from that point till the end of the finals.
    Game 3 Wade 13-18 fts
    Game 5 Wade 21-25 fts
    Game 6 Wade 16-21 fts
    Nuf said.

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 15, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I’m referring to the Heat vs Dallas in 2006

12. jimeejohnson - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Wade’s been the MVP of the finals, a three time NBA champion, and a very rich man. Nobody on the Knicks or Pacers has come even close! Those two teams are watching the finals on tv, again! But their hateful, punk loser fans are always ready to spread the bad energy that surrounds them 24/7/365.

Happy father’s day even to the punk losers whom I have great pity for. It must suck to wallow in hate.

13. 1historian - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Anti – I admire your style. For the most part you don’t what you’re talking about but you don’t let the cramp your style – you’ve got 2 or 3 people jumping up and down disagreeing with you.

Heat jumps out in front, Spurs catch up in the 3rd quarter, win by 9.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches