Chandler Parsons on LeBron James: “You’ll see him in a different jersey next year”

Jun 14, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

Is Houston’s Chandler Parsons — the guy who worked hard to recruit Dwight Howard to Houston — starting to try the same thing with LeBron James?

Not likely, but he was on ESPN’s Sports Nation show and said he thought losing these NBA Finals, in the manner they did, is going to have LeBron looking to bolt.

“I think if they would have won the championship it would have been a different story and they would have come back to do it again but he’s got so much responsibility, he’s obviously one of the best players if not the best player, I think them losing will make him make a move and opt out and you’ll see him in a differnent jersey next year.”

For the record, that would be restricted free agent and guy potentially moved in a big trade Chandler Parsons talking. I’m more curious what jersey he will be wearing next season.

Parsons goes on to say he can’t see LeBron teaming up with Kobe Bryant on the Lakers. He can see a return to Cleveland.

These Finals and the manner in which Miami lost certainly has made it clear it’s time for some changes to the Heat. The question LeBron needs to ask himself who he trusts to put an elite team around him to win more titles? Does he trust the inexperienced Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher in New York? Does he trust Jim Buss? Does he trust Dan Gilbert to build a solid organization on Cleveland?

Or does he trust Pat Riley to recruit guys to come play in Miami? Got a feeling it’s still the last option.

Hat tip to Reddit NBA.

132 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. AZ Dem - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I’m pretty sure that Coach McHale has more of an influence in recruiting free agents. He was never much of a GM, but he is an excellent coach. And as a tutor for big-men, he has no rival. In the entire history of the game, nobody, but nobody, had better footwork with their back to the basket on the box. I mean, his vertical leap was something like 2-3 inches.

Three reasons LeBron’s not moving. Family, his relationship with Pat Riley, his relationship with his corporate sponsors. They want him in Miami. They’ve fashioned (and spent a lot of money) on creating this South Beach LeBron image. It works. Broadway LebBron or Hollywood LeBron could be created, but it wouldn’t work as well. Forget about Chicago or Houston. From a marketing perspective, it doesn’t work.

Houston is great for players whose image is not carved in granite. I’m talking about the larger public mind, not just basketball fans. Houston is a good fit for Howard. And Houston should be able to get discounted players. For one reason and one reason only. Houston is the most popular team in China. The Rockets are China’s team. The Rockets’ colors are those of the China flag (or close enough) and the lettering and numbering are inspired by the Chinese. The Rockets sell more jerseys in China than all the other NBA teams combined. The marketing and business opportunities for the players are endless.

• drg33 - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Lebron James is not going to the Houston Rockets, lol. That is Dwight Howard and James no defense Harden’s team. Seriously, I really hope you are kidding, or seeking help with your delusions if you are not.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM

That’s a great tidbit about the Rockets being the most popular team in China. Would have thought it was the Lakers, just because they’re west coast and mileage wise the closest team to China. Sarcasm intended.

• 24thesho - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Hakeem Olajuwon, dude. Don’t get it twisted.

• utbigred - Jun 15, 2014 at 7:07 AM

What? Mchale is an excellent coach? Since when? At best he’s a player’s coach but when it comes to decision making, player matchups, running up plays, disciplining the team, he fails in all those categories. And what’s up with the “Rocket’s colors are those of the China flag”. One of the biggest reasons as to why they’re popular was because of Yao Ming. Quit trying to delude yourself with these fallacies. The team will never win a champion with Mchale as their coach.

2. brenenostler - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM

So the Heat are getting new uniforms?

3. coltzfan166 - Jun 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I never really watched the NBA until LeBron went to Miami. Then I went to my first game and became a fan after that. I love LeBron, and I know leaving Clevelabd wasn’t easy for him, but I will give up on him if he leaves Miami. It will show he has no team loyalty, even if he goes back to Cleveland. If LeBron stays in Miami for the rest of his career, they could be considered to be the greatest NBA team ever when it’s all said and done. I’m gonna keep my fingers crossed that he’ll do the right thing.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Your comment has an honesty and REAL fan quality that the haters must hate cause they’re not capable of it. Good show!

• truninerfan49 - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:31 AM

so in other words you are a typical Heat bandwagon fan.

4. bdazzler00 - Jun 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM

One thing LeBron has to ask himself is how many of the top 10 or so greatest players of all time have played for more than 2 teams? only Shaq that I can think of, and his legacy is fading fast.

I certainly hope he stays, but if he doesn’t, it wont be for lack of Pat Riley trying, and I will appreciate all he has done for the team and the city during this historic run.

My feeling is that he stays, and that Riley has had something monumental in the works for quite some time.

• funkmong - Jun 15, 2014 at 2:37 AM

as for Riles and that monumental move… a day late and a dollar short, to say the least

• bdazzler00 - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM

What makes you say that?

How has Riley been a day late or a dollar short on keeping Lebron on the team? The offseason hasn’t even started yet.

5. robjr50 - Jun 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM

he will only leave if the heat do not reload the roster with an upgrade in talent. i believe bosh will opt out and wade will take a pay cut so they can sign another major free agent and some good role players.

6. pondersucks07 - Jun 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Wade is just a shell of himself. Wade use to be I of the best rebounding and shot blocking Guards. Bosh is a glorified role player. Laflop will stay if Miami can land Anthony. NY?CLEVE?LA? would be his next landing spots if LaFlop leaves.

• bdazzler00 - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM

It’s amazing how polarizing Lebron is. Heat fans see him as the consummate team player, unselfish, makes his teammates better, active in the community, much more comparable to magic than Jordan. Non heat fans see him as a me first, selfish, mercenary for hire because of “the decision” and the admittedly arrogant celebration the team had the next day, which happened 4 years ago.

There isn’t a single fan that proclaims to hate him today that wouldn’t be cheering their asses off for him tomorrow if he was trying to win championships for their team and city. I would say that defines “being a hater”.

7. sumkat - Jun 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Are the heat going to redesign their jersey for next year? That’s the only way he’s in a different jersey

The guy is all about his legacy at this point. If they lose to the Spurs, and he bolts, that’s like gasoline for the “he only won because of the guys around him” crowd. He wins 2 straight titles, the team starts to get older, then they are basically handled by the Spurs…..and he bolts for greener pastures?

If you think he has pressure on him now, that would multiply it exponentially. Now he HAS to win, or it’s “see, he can’t win without 2 other all-stars to help him”. The ONLY team he could go to, and not take a PR hit that would destroy the good will he’s gotten back since the ill fated “decision” is Cleveland, since he could play the “I’m going back home” crowd, and that is a 1/1,000,000 chance. Anyone else, don’t waste time even hoping for it, it’s not going to happen

• ozarkannie74 - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Cleveland burned his jersey, do you really see him going back there??? As for your comment about not winning without two other all-stars, do you think the Spurs would be where they are if they only had one good player?? That was a very dumb comment. No one can win a basketball game with just one player – no one!!!

8. antistratfordian - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

That’s his opinion and that’s fine. But did he have to wear that shirt?

9. jimeejohnson - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Celtics!

10. jimeejohnson - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Lebron’s got two NBA championship rings, a bunch of MVPs, and you got nothing but hate and pea brains.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM

F-ck everybody!

• moppop - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Sounds like you were talking about yourself…

11. heat256 - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I will never begrudge a player to leave a team as a free agent. That’s something the players negotiated and they do deserve to play where they will be happy and flourish. Should one or all of the Big 3 leave, then we can say thanks for the four years and the two titles. Life goes on. Of course, if they leave we can hope at the very least MIA negotiates a S&T to start the rebuild process. Circle of NBA life. I was happy when the Big 3 came here and I’ll be sad to see it end, but it is inevitable, and I won’t spend one minute being angry or jilted. It’s a game. They owe us nothing. I still have to get up and go on with my day no matter who is playing for the Heat. I’ll still watch. If I could watch games featuring players like Alan Ogg, Manute Bol, Mark Blount, Smush Parker and Ricky Davis, I’ll watch the new blood too. Even if they are not that good.

12. omeimontis - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:46 PM

If he is going to leave, he would probably go to a team with a really good center. Miami, despite winning back to back NBA championships, does not have a real center. He did not have that in Cleveland either. Dwayne Wade is over the hill, so it is time for James to look for better support.

• funkmong - Jun 15, 2014 at 3:06 AM

Cavs had Ilgaukus and that wild haired Brazilian while Lebron was there… plenty of C power, size, rebounding, and enough scoring… at least they were an inside presence, what the Heat sorely lack

• gofinsgoheatfloria - Jun 16, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Ilgauskas came over with LeBron, played a year and hung it up. Varejao is still there, and still injury-prone.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches