Jun 13, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
David Blatt announced he was leaving Maccabi Tel Aviv to join the NBA, but he didn’t say where he’d coach next season.
Probably because he doesn’t know yet.
Sources told ESPN.com on Friday that Blatt, an American-Israeli who rose to prominence coaching abroad after playing at Pete Carril’s Princeton, is poised to land either with the Warriors as an assistant or with the Cavaliers as their head coach after barging his way into Cleveland’s search in recent days.
“It will be Golden State or Cleveland,” one source said.
David Pick of Eurobasket.com:
Obviously, becoming a head coach would be preferable, but assisting Steve Kerr in Golden State with all the Warriors offensive options is not a bad fallback.
The key in Cleveland will be securing an interview with Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who’s already spoken with a couple candidates. That’s who Blatt must impress – and then deal with if he accepts the job.
Golden State isn’t just sitting back and waiting for Blatt, though.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Baxter Holmes of The Boston Globe:
Could the Warriors add Blatt and Adams? That would be a heck of a coaching staff with big-time credentials – except, you know, the head coach with no experience.
Phil Jackson could learn a lesson here. Golden State is positioning Kerr to succeed by surrounding him with established coaching talent. It seems the Knicks are content to let Fisher sink or swim with an underwhelming staff.
And the Cavaliers? I’m not sure what they’re doing, but at least they have a quality coaching prospect – Blatt – in their pool of candidates.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 5
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10