Jun 13, 2014, 7:33 PM EST
David Blatt announced he was leaving Maccabi Tel Aviv to join the NBA, but he didn’t say where he’d coach next season.
Probably because he doesn’t know yet.
Sources told ESPN.com on Friday that Blatt, an American-Israeli who rose to prominence coaching abroad after playing at Pete Carril’s Princeton, is poised to land either with the Warriors as an assistant or with the Cavaliers as their head coach after barging his way into Cleveland’s search in recent days.
“It will be Golden State or Cleveland,” one source said.
David Pick of Eurobasket.com:
Obviously, becoming a head coach would be preferable, but assisting Steve Kerr in Golden State with all the Warriors offensive options is not a bad fallback.
The key in Cleveland will be securing an interview with Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who’s already spoken with a couple candidates. That’s who Blatt must impress – and then deal with if he accepts the job.
Golden State isn’t just sitting back and waiting for Blatt, though.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Baxter Holmes of The Boston Globe:
Could the Warriors add Blatt and Adams? That would be a heck of a coaching staff with big-time credentials – except, you know, the head coach with no experience.
Phil Jackson could learn a lesson here. Golden State is positioning Kerr to succeed by surrounding him with established coaching talent. It seems the Knicks are content to let Fisher sink or swim with an underwhelming staff.
And the Cavaliers? I’m not sure what they’re doing, but at least they have a quality coaching prospect – Blatt – in their pool of candidates.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 11
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 13
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 21
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 7
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18