Jun 13, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony has been clear from the start he intended to opt out and become a free agent this summer. He might well re-sign with the Knicks, but he was going to look at his options. He wanted the “full Dwight Howard treatment.”
So it shouldn’t be a surprise that Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher couldn’t talk Anthony out of his plan, as reported by Frank Isola at the New York Daily News.
Anthony and his agent, Leon Rose, reportedly met on Thursday with Jackson, new coach Derek Fisher and general manager Steve Mills. Assuming Anthony opts out, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the All-Star forward won’t re-sign with the Knicks, especially when the club can offer him the most money. But even Jackson recently admitted he is concerned about losing Anthony to free agency because it “only takes one” team.
There were reports that the one team could be the Miami Heat, and watching them in the Finals shaw shown how they need to upgrade that roster. However that would require a large financial sacrifice from Anthony, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. For one, Bosh called this scenario very, very unlikely.
But if Anthony is willing to take a pay cut and not be “the man” on a team as he is in NYC he would have other options such as Chicago and Houston, two teams that would be considered contenders with Anthony in the fold.
Anthony has options. He wants to explore them. Always did, nothing has really changed.
Just don’t be surprised if he doesn’t look at those options and end up back in blue and orange at Madison Square Garden again next season.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10