Donald Sterling hires private investigators to dig up dirt on NBA commissioner and owners

Jun 13, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers NBA basketball team owner Donald Sterling attends the Milken Institute Global Conference in Beverly Hills Reuters

Donald Sterling is mad.

Mad at Adam Silver. Mad at the other NBA owners. Mad at the world.

So, Sterling is doing what mad people do – lash out.

Associated Press:

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling’s team of lawyers has hired four private investigation firms to dig up dirt on the NBA’s former and current commissioners and its 29 other owners, said a person familiar with Sterling’s legal strategy.

Investigators were given a six-figure budget over the next 30 days to examine the league’s finances, allegations of previous discriminatory conduct and compensation to past Commissioner David Stern and current Commissioner Adam Silver, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday night on condition of anonymity. The person wasn’t authorized to talk publicly.

The person said the investigators also are looking into whether other owners made any off-color jokes, or racist or sexist remarks.

The NBA shouldn’t fear losing Sterling’s ridiculous lawsuit. That thing makes a mockery of laws.

But maybe the league should fear this:

Mark Cuban has railed about the slippery slope of an owner losing his team due to private comments, and this is why. No other owner wants to lose his team for something similar. The dirt needn’t reveal racism – just something substantially outrageous for any reason.

Think all 29 other owners have never done something that the public would abhor? I’d guess those odds are low.

The bigger question is whether Sterling’s investigators can uncover it.

Sterling can’t get his lifetime ban overturned. He can’t get his fine rescinded. He can’t keep the Clippers.

But he can make life miserable for some people in the NBA. We’ll see soon enough whether he does.

1. bucrightoff - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM

The fun appears to be just getting started with this utterly insane man. Let’s see how many NBA conspiracies can be uncovered.

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone (one of the other 29 owners) put a hit out on this guy.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM

When you have money like they do you have a lot of dirty secrets. This could get very interesting

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Agreed.

• bigbamboom1 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I wouldn’t be any fellow owner who did something like that. It would be the Global Bankers and Corporate Stakeholders who are fully invested in the Global NBA Brand. This old curmudgeon has lost it. And his own lawyers and investigators need to warn him off instead of stealing his money.

• hwatt - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM

… he basically hired some kids to do a lot of google searching for him. man i missed the gravy train on this one..

2. chicagosports2014 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Misery love’s company❗

3. paleihe - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM

This old man is pathetic.

• money2long - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Get off my lawn

4. duhwighthoward - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Oh jerdgog, you talked so much smack. Yet again, here is another circumstance you failed to foresee.

You will go down in PBT history as the guy who tooted his own horn to the grave.

Good luck backtracking your way out of this one.

#InVinnyWeTrust#

5. Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM

You knew this was coming, and more importantly, Mark Cuban knew. That’s why he has been so hard line about trying to avoid the precedent getting set. He’s got skeletons as they all do.

6. 1historian - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM

you CAN’T make this stuff up

Go get ‘em Donny!!!

7. phillycannon - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Its funny that this is going on, and Mark Cuban seemed like he was backing Sterling!!!! Now look!! Is Cuban going to try to cover up his mistakes. The most intriguing owners that I wanna know that have dirt is the Knicks, Heat Lakers and Mr. Gambler(Mj).

Sterling might as well hire people to dig dirt on the NBA as a whole. Since he is saying the NBA is destroying him, he might as well try to destroy them.

My opinion, just take the money and run…Donald. But hey….im only a thousandaire, so who am I to talk.

8. zackd2 - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Who didn’t see this coming? And frankly who can blame him.
    Lose a 2 billion dollar franchise due to comments said in public about race? Of course he’s going down swinging.

• monkeyhateclean - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Correction: the comments were said in private, recorded without his consent, and made public.

• zackd2 - Jun 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Oops, thanks

• ranfan12 - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Allegedly recorded without his consent.

9. 00maltliquor - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Hell hath no fury like an owner scorned.

10. bball242322 - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM

why doesn’t this old man just accept his 2 billion and leave everything be. From the looks of it, he only has about 3 years left to live. Go take your private jet to a private island and be done with it all

11. mvp43 - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Hmm…… maybe we’ll finally get to the bottom of the old “cold envelope'” draft of ’85.

12. beavertonsteve - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Well this should make LeBron and the other players happy right? If the are any other owners who have ever made inappropriate comments wouldn’t they want them all forced out?

13. balsagna - Jun 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Good for him. I may be in the minority but all I see is a bunch of hypocrites crying about how this guy is handling this situation, as if said hypocrites wouldn’t do THE EXACT SAME THING. I applaud him. I would do the exact same thing, and I would bring down as many people as I could out the door. You may be able to force him to sell his team, but he can make it so painful that the league will regret their decision.

He said some racially insensitive stuff in the privacy of his own home? Oh my goodness gracious. You mean there are people out there that are racist? Color me shocked. If my boss pays me and treats me well, he can call me whatever racial slur he wants in the privacy of his own home as long as he pays me and treats me with respect at the work place.

• phillycannon - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Reality check…..your boss pay you scraps and still says racist things about you buddy.

• balsagna - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Discount double check…I am fairly compensated for the work I do and couldn’t care less what my boss says about the color of my skin as long as he respects me in the work place.

14. 50milessouthofdetroit - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I haven’t been this interested in an NBA story in a LONG TIME

15. grumpyoleman - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:16 PM

He should hire one to investigate why that chick would never let him touch her down there.

16. logicalcomment - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:44 PM

hahaha too funny, as much as i hate D.Sterling, this is GREAT !!!

the NBA has been a mafia and i really really hope they find dirt.

this could get interesting

17. logicalcomment - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:49 PM

i too would probably do the same thing, but with like a 10 millions budget, and suing everything with my middle fingers up !

he’s still a prick tho.

18. mackcarrington - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:28 PM

You would think he would leave David Stern alone. Stern did nothing to Donald for his entire 30 year rule, despite probably knowing all the dirt on Donald.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches