Jun 12, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
Before Flip Saunders decided to step out of the front office and onto the sidelines to once again become the head coach of the Timberwolves, Sam Mitchell was a strong candidate to be hired for the position.
With the franchise seemingly in a state of flux now that Kevin Love will almost certainly be gone either before, during or after the following season, Saunders felt it was best to steer the ship himself, and get the rebuild headed in the right direction before spending big on a multi-year deal for another head coach.
Mitchell may still end up in that role at some point, and apparently is solidifying his chances by accepting a job as an assistant under Saunders.
Sam Mitchell is finalizing an agreement today to join Flip Saunders coaching staff in Minnesota, league source tells Yahoo.
Mitchell coached the Toronto Raptors for four full seasons and won coach of the year in 2007, before being replaced early in the 2008-09 season.
It’s a wise decision on Mitchell’s part if he believes Minnesota is a good match from a philosophical standpoint, and Saunders can get up close and personal with Mitchell’s coaching style before pulling the trigger on a long-term contract for someone who will play an important role in guiding the team long after Love is playing somewhere else.
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 1
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 6
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 15
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 45
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 13
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63