Jun 12, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
Before Flip Saunders decided to step out of the front office and onto the sidelines to once again become the head coach of the Timberwolves, Sam Mitchell was a strong candidate to be hired for the position.
With the franchise seemingly in a state of flux now that Kevin Love will almost certainly be gone either before, during or after the following season, Saunders felt it was best to steer the ship himself, and get the rebuild headed in the right direction before spending big on a multi-year deal for another head coach.
Mitchell may still end up in that role at some point, and apparently is solidifying his chances by accepting a job as an assistant under Saunders.
Sam Mitchell is finalizing an agreement today to join Flip Saunders coaching staff in Minnesota, league source tells Yahoo.
Mitchell coached the Toronto Raptors for four full seasons and won coach of the year in 2007, before being replaced early in the 2008-09 season.
It’s a wise decision on Mitchell’s part if he believes Minnesota is a good match from a philosophical standpoint, and Saunders can get up close and personal with Mitchell’s coaching style before pulling the trigger on a long-term contract for someone who will play an important role in guiding the team long after Love is playing somewhere else.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 9
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 48
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43