Jun 12, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
Byron Scott is getting a second interview with the Lakers, but hold your horses if you think that means the job is Scott’s.
Kurt Rambis – who seems to have a fallback option as a Knicks assistant under Derek Fisher – is still in the mix.
Rambis also remains a favorite for the Lakers’ head-coaching position, according to league sources. The Lakers have interviewed at least a half-dozen coaches, but sources say they are focused on three primary candidates: Rambis, Alvin Gentry and Byron Scott.
So, does this report contradict the report that the Lakers are waiting for LeBron James to pick their next coach? Or does LeBron get to pick between Rambis, Gentry and Scott? Because I don’t see how he can turn down an opportunity like that.
The wording – “a favorite” – leaves it a little unclear whether Rambis is any more favored than Gentry and Scott, but it implies Rambis is at least tied at the top of Los Angeles’ list.
I suppose the Lakers can cling to the 1999 season, when Rambis took over mid-year. They fired Del Harris after a 6-6 start, and Rambis stepped in to guide Los Angeles to a 24-13 finish and playoff-series win.
Personally, I find Rambis’ stint with the Timberwolves from 2009-11 more telling. In his two years as head coach, Minnesota went 15-67 and 17-65. With Kevin Love, Al Jefferson, Corey Brewer and Ramon Sessions that first team didn’t completely lack talent, and healthier Love should have meant more than 17 wins in the second season. Those Timberwolves teams always just looked lost.
There might be value in having a coach who has previously been a member of the Lakers family. There’s more value in having a good coach.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 5
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44