Report: Kurt Rambis ‘a favorite’ for Lakers coach

Jun 12, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Phoenix Suns v Minnesota Timberwolves Phoenix Suns v Minnesota Timberwolves

Byron Scott is getting a second interview with the Lakers, but hold your horses if you think that means the job is Scott’s.

Kurt Rambis – who seems to have a fallback option as a Knicks assistant under Derek Fisher – is still in the mix.

Howard Beck of Bleacher Report:

Rambis also remains a favorite for the Lakers’ head-coaching position, according to league sources. The Lakers have interviewed at least a half-dozen coaches, but sources say they are focused on three primary candidates: Rambis, Alvin Gentry and Byron Scott.

So, does this report contradict the report that the Lakers are waiting for LeBron James to pick their next coach? Or does LeBron get to pick between Rambis, Gentry and Scott? Because I don’t see how he can turn down an opportunity like that.

The wording – “a favorite” – leaves it a little unclear whether Rambis is any more favored than Gentry and Scott, but it implies Rambis is at least tied at the top of Los Angeles’ list.

I suppose the Lakers can cling to the 1999 season, when Rambis took over mid-year. They fired Del Harris after a 6-6 start, and Rambis stepped in to guide Los Angeles to a 24-13 finish and playoff-series win.

Personally, I find Rambis’ stint with the Timberwolves from 2009-11 more telling. In his two years as head coach, Minnesota went 15-67 and 17-65. With Kevin Love, Al Jefferson, Corey Brewer and Ramon Sessions that first team didn’t completely lack talent, and healthier Love should have meant more than 17 wins in the second season. Those Timberwolves teams always just looked lost.

There might be value in having a coach who has previously been a member of the Lakers family. There’s more value in having a good coach.

1. billtetley53 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Hahahaha! Man I hope he is the guy! Horrible coach.

• kb2408 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Go away…if we want your opinion, we will give it to you, @billbitely53 aka Donald Sterling.

• billtetley53 - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I knew you wouldnt last!

• daddyghi - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

why is the lakers keep on hiring a sacked coach? obviously, there’s a reason why he got sacked in the first place..

2. loungefly74 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM

the track record is a little scary. I’m leaning towards Scott right now…but what do i know.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM

You sir, KNOW a lot more than the Lakers front office…

3. kb2408 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I loved Rambis….as a player! He was a vital cog in the Showtime LAKERS Dynasty. But I do not want him to become the next coach. I believe hiring Byron is a foregone conclusion. And, though I know Gentry is respected in NBA circles, I don’t get why he’s even mentioned as a possible coach of the LAKERS. It’s not happening.

• cantonb0und13 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Lakers are dysfunctional, who cares what the Lakers hire.

• musician0785 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM

The guy who went through the trouble of making a username similar to another person for the sole reason of trolling, is talking about someone else’s dysfunction…funny

• cantonb0und13 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Oh. Is the other canton you’re f*** buddy? Quit crying. Loser.

• kb2408 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Go away…imposter.

• cantonb0und13 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Someone out there in the world, has the same name as Michael, Stephen, Bobby, Andrew. You’re the one who is dysfunctional.

• musician0785 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Yea because the names Michael and Bobby on are par with INTERNET usernames…..what a loser you are.

• cantonb0und13 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM

You’re calling me a loser, when you’re the one having a period over someone having the same internet name as someone else. Congrats.

• musician0785 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Put it like this..what if i changed my name to Kobe Bryantt. How pathetic would that be? As pathetic as your current username,

• cantonb0und13 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I could careless if you changed it to that name. My life doesn’t consist of getting upset with someone having the same internet username as someone else. You should take a look in the mirror and reevaluate you’re life.

• aboogy123456 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM

just curious, why did you change your name to cantonb0und?

• musician0785 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM

You seem to think that I’m upset, i’m not. I was just pointing out the irony…..seems like I struck a nerve though.

• cantonb0und13 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Just curious? Well because the other canton doesn’t have basketball knowledge, I do. He’s a pathetic Knicks fan. And I never changed my name. I had this name first. He’s the one that changed it. I have tremendous basketball I.Q. and I’m here to teach everyone the fundamentals of the game.

• aboogy123456 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Ok, I didn’t realize you had the name first. I remember seeing him post on here a lot last year and don’t remember yours. I haven’t liked many of your recent posts, but I’ll pay more attention to them since you enjoy the fundamentals of the game and that’s more interesting than arguing about other stuff.

• loungefly74 - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM

agree, KB. loved Rambis as well…but I think he needs to “hold the clipboard” for a little while longer…preferrable under a good coach…someone like…Scott!

4. billtetley53 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM

You dont get a lot of things, vagina for one. Oh, I forgot, that doesnt matter, you dont like that anyway.
    How long before you snap, sausage wallet?
    You cant go on forever, its eating you up inside not to respond. I suppose you have your hands full getting verbally thrashed daily by the heat fans, its hard to keep up.

I really like how you threw out yhere that heat never lost 3 in a row, only to be outed for the fool you are, AGAIN. What is that now, about 10 major flubs?

You have no clue why Gentry would be considered? Not surprised, you are a know nothing,and you prove it daily.

• cinfante54 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Did you give kb your number at a bar or something and he still hasn’t called you? Seems like the only reason for all the name calling and ranting.

• spthegr8 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:02 AM

^^^ He is just a miserable old troll. This is what he does for Fun,its actually very sad. This dude has absoultuely NO LIFE!! Pay him no attention and maybe if we are all lucky. He will go away for good. He was supposed to already be gone but he is not a man of his word. SHOCKER!! Get a life Bill. You truly are a pathetic human being. I’m willing to bet he still lives with his mom and he is still a virgin and in his spare time, he plays dungeons and dragons! ^^^ What a CLOSSAL LOSER!!

• kb2408 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Thanks, cinfante54, I glad someone else realizes what a major loser this clown is. He says I live vicariously through the LAKERS…meanwhile he lives vicariously through me.

• billtetley53 - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Sorry spt, Youre buddy kb is the one that was supposed to be gone for good. My belt with maltliqour was to change my name for the duration of the playoffs, which I did. Malt can corroborate that. Kb changed his name from LL instead of leaving after losing our bet. So direct your ire at that elsewhere,where it belongs,at kb.

Ah, the good old lives with his mom bit, ugh! No, this is where Im supposed to say: im not a virgin, ive got a great job and im happier than hell, right? Who gives a crap? I dont care what any of you think of me, why do you care what I think of you?

Its fun for me to ridicule you morons, cause you keep playing into it. For my next trick, I may just play an over the top lakers fan.IJS!!!!

• billtetley53 - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM

PS, kb. Im not living vicariously through you. Im here to help you make a fool out of yourself.(not yhat you need much help). You know exactly why I am ridiculing you. You could have ended this all last year, but you chose to be a weasel. You could end it this year, but youre to CS to do it.

• spthegr8 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I could care less about you old man. Your a pimple on the A$$ of life. & we all know you like too Troll. It’s what you are known for on this board. SMFH!!!

• billtetley53 - Jun 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM

No kidding spt, I just told you I was a troll. Up there ⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆! IJS!!!

So, if Im “known for it”, why are you so weakminded to keep playing into it? IJS! IM LLS at you!
        (see how dumb that looks when you type that crap?)

Im a pimple huh? Youre a skidmark on the underwear of life. You 💩stain, you.

• spthegr8 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Shouldn’t you be watching re-runs of the Golden Girls & eating your Stewed Prunes. Isn’t it a lil late for a senior citizen like you to be awake??

• billtetley53 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Really? Really spt?! Golden girld and prunes? Thats your comeback?! Right after I told you I was a troll, you comment again, with that lame crap?

I bet you think that youre going to get that one zinger in , the one you yhink will make me leave, right?
      Sorry, not going to happen.

Youre such a dumb 🐔📍, IJS!!

5. El Pollo Loco - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Oh I hope they hire him or vinny del negro!

6. asimonetti88 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Please no

• spthegr8 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Please HELL NO!!!

• 00maltliquor - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM

This can’t be real life! We’re turning into the Pistons/Knicks! I LOVE Rambis as a player, not as a head coach.

PLEASE F**K NO!!!

• sportsfan18 - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Well…

I’ve be warning you…

This is the Laker organization that hired Mike Brown… Strike 1

This is the Laker organization that hired Mike D’Antoni… Strike 2

WHY do folks think that all of a sudden, this same Laker organization is going to hit a home run with this coaching hire?

They won’t… It’ll be Strike 3.

• aboogy123456 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM

who thinks that they will hit a home run? They are interviewing coaching candidates and want to make the best decision. What do you think they should do?

• sportsfan18 - Jun 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

All the Lakers fans who said when Dwight left last summer to just wait for the summer of 2014 when we retool, have cap space, bring in one or even TWO superstars…

Isn’t going to work out like that…

Other’s have said on posts on the 30 or so daily Lakers articles that they were going to get a “real” coach this time as opposed to the great Mike Brown and the savior Mike D’Antoni…

You’re just gonna get a coach… and the odds are better than not that whoever the coach is won’t make it past when Kobe retires…

• asimonetti88 - Jun 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Cool story bro.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 12, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Here’s another story since you liked the last one so well…

27 & 55 baby!!!

New coach ONLY needs to win 28 games this coming season to IMPROVE upon last season…

7. musician0785 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM

OK player, TERRIBLE coach (56-145). I’m hoping for Byron Scott, you know, a guy who has actually had success as a coach.

8. billtetley53 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Cin: Nope, I dont like guys, pretty sure kb does though, and thats ok.

Hes mind numbingly stupid and a bliwhard to boot. If you are new here, you dont understand the history behind this. He is a liar, a fool, and a know nothing. I waste time at work reminding him of that daily.

Dont bother telling me I need a life, this putz deserves the ridicule he gets, just read his posts.

• kb2408 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:25 AM

You’re the Donald of PBT…a miserable old curmudgeon with no friends, no purpose in life and spends what little money you have on companionship from skanks.

• billtetley53 - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM

All I had to do is insinuate thst you preferred men to women and you list your composure and started answering again…..lmao!

I seem to have struck a nerve. Its ok its 2014, thats not frowned upon anymore.

Fish.in.a.barrel.

9. aboogy123456 - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I know Rambis doesn’t have a great track record, but I’m actually very excited that he’s in the running right now. I also really like Gentry, would be happy with either of them but am rooting for Rambis.

10. spursareold - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM

It honestly doesn’t matter who they hire. LA basically needs a caretaker for the position to ride out the storm that will be the last two years of Kobe’s career.

11. jman2020 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM

You guys call lebron the greatest but your forever trying to pare him up with other stars not role players stars let him go to orlando w/o any help and make him earn his greatness 🙏

12. realfootballfan - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Yea, that soudns about right for the slow Buss Lakers.

13. drs76109 - Jun 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Lar E. Brown.

If he could coach Iverson, he’s ready for anybody.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches