Jun 12, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s ridiculous to talk about Kevin Durant’s 2016 potential free agency at this point, we don’t know what the NBA landscape will look like at that point. We don’t know what the Thunder will look like, what the Western Conference will look like, if OKC will have won a title, if a whole lot of things.
But Durant is such a transcendent player, one who can instantly change the fortune of a franchise, that front offices around the league are calculating to have cap space and ways to entice him in two years. It’s GMs jobs to think like that.
The Knicks, sources say, expect to be a contender for Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant when he is projected to become a free agent in July 2016 and believe their chances will be enhanced by the presence of Fisher, one of Durant’s favorite teammates with the Thunder.
First, would Durant want to leave OKC to hear Derek Fisher’s long-winded speeches again?
Of course, the real question is will Durant (who will be 27 at the time and entering his prime) want to leave Oklahoma City in 2016? The answer very well may be no. He’s a different guy than a lot of the other top players in the league, he is not automatically drawn to the bright lights of major markets like a moth to a bug zapper. He’s happy where he is right now.
If he were to consider leaving, it would be about winning a ring — he would still have to be without one and have serious doubts it can happen in OKC. He would have to think the chances are better wherever he would go — and like LeBron, 29 other teams would find a way to make cap space for him. If he wants to go somewhere, that team will shed salary and do whatever is necessary to make it happen.
Could that be New York? Maybe. Frankly it will take a heck of a lot more than Derek Fisher, it will take Phil Jackson’s culture change in New York already showing real dividends on the court. But we are too far away to really speculate about Durant going to NYC or anywhere else. The smart bet right now is he stays put because the Thunder are already on the cusp of a title.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 72
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32