Jun 12, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Metta World Peace is an unrestricted free agent — nobody knows where he is going to end up next season.
Well, except that he is going to end up in the ritzy Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles.
As confirmation, here is the tweet of the coach.
While your first reaction to World Peace hanging out with high school girls may be to snicker, he’s actually got the right mentality and knowledge to help them. Those girls are going to listen to him when he talks box out technique or how to close out on a three point shooter. I don’t want MWP coaching an NBA team, but this is a good fit.
The question is how much time will he have? Where will he be playing?
World Peace struggled to fit in on a poor Knicks team last season, in part because he doesn’t bring near what he used to on the court. He played in just 29 games in New York, having fallen out of the rotation (then suffering injuries) and he averaged just 4.8 points a game on 39.7 percent shooting overall and 31.5 percent from three (where he took a lot of shots). He is not the fearsome man defender he once was.
When he was waived by the Knicks there was reported interest from other teams but nobody stepped up with a contract. He can be a distraction off the court and if he’s not helping you out on it what’s the point?
Some team will take a chance on him for the upcoming season, but at a league minimum salary (he made $1.2 million last season and was bought out of the end of that deal).
If nothing else, now World Peace has coaching to fall back on… girls high school coaching, but that’s still coaching and a good place to start.
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 4
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60