Jun 12, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Kevin Love reportedly does not want to play in Cleveland. While you should take all comments on trades in the Summer of Love with some salt, it has been the buzz from team officials around the league for a couple years that he wants to go to a major market where he can win.
But that is very different from saying Cleveland could and would not trade for Love.
In a Q&A with Love (tied to him pimping Call of Duty) website The Big Lead asked him about what it is like to see his name in constant rumors, such as the one about him and Cleveland.
I try not to read it. A lot of it is brought to my attention through outside sources, sometimes twitter. But like most people, I need to be conscious of my image and try to roll with the punches. I know that’s a generic answer. I don’t think the Cleveland [trade rumors] are outlandish at all. They have a great young foundation.
The Cavs trade rumors may not be outlandish, but that doesn’t make them likely. Unless you think Love trusts Dan Gilbert to build a winner.
To parse his words, he did not say he would re-sign in Cleveland or that he would even opt in for the final year of his contract were he traded there. All he said is that Cleveland has “a great young foundation” and may be able to structure a trade for him.
Minnesota could not care less whether Love re-signs wherever they trade him this summer. He wouldn’t be their problem anymore. What Minnesota cares about is getting the best trade package back in return they can find for Love. Cleveland does have interesting pieces (and Anthony Bennett) that could interest the Timberwolves, including the No. 1 pick in this year’s draft. Whether they would be willing to move that is another question.
Bottom line is any team that isn’t getting behind-the-scenes assurances from Love’s people that he will re-sign there needs to be careful about how much they give up to get him. Houston, for example, reportedly feels “outgunned” in the bidding process because they already like their core.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron his shots despite good Celtics defense 0
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 18
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 65