Jun 12, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Kevin Love reportedly does not want to play in Cleveland. While you should take all comments on trades in the Summer of Love with some salt, it has been the buzz from team officials around the league for a couple years that he wants to go to a major market where he can win.
But that is very different from saying Cleveland could and would not trade for Love.
In a Q&A with Love (tied to him pimping Call of Duty) website The Big Lead asked him about what it is like to see his name in constant rumors, such as the one about him and Cleveland.
I try not to read it. A lot of it is brought to my attention through outside sources, sometimes twitter. But like most people, I need to be conscious of my image and try to roll with the punches. I know that’s a generic answer. I don’t think the Cleveland [trade rumors] are outlandish at all. They have a great young foundation.
The Cavs trade rumors may not be outlandish, but that doesn’t make them likely. Unless you think Love trusts Dan Gilbert to build a winner.
To parse his words, he did not say he would re-sign in Cleveland or that he would even opt in for the final year of his contract were he traded there. All he said is that Cleveland has “a great young foundation” and may be able to structure a trade for him.
Minnesota could not care less whether Love re-signs wherever they trade him this summer. He wouldn’t be their problem anymore. What Minnesota cares about is getting the best trade package back in return they can find for Love. Cleveland does have interesting pieces (and Anthony Bennett) that could interest the Timberwolves, including the No. 1 pick in this year’s draft. Whether they would be willing to move that is another question.
Bottom line is any team that isn’t getting behind-the-scenes assurances from Love’s people that he will re-sign there needs to be careful about how much they give up to get him. Houston, for example, reportedly feels “outgunned” in the bidding process because they already like their core.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20