Jun 12, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Dave Blatt is an American — born in Boston, he played college ball as a point guard at Princeton under the legendary Pete Carrill. However, he made his name as a coach overseas — this year he led Israel’s Maccabi Tel Aviv to the EuroLeague title, last year he coached the Russians up to the bronze medal in the London Olympics.
Now the coach known for offensive innovation is coming back stateside… it’s just we don’t know where yet.
“I’m leaving my home, but not my family. I feel that this is the right thing for me to do,” said Blatt. “I’m not leaving Maccabi for a bigger contract. I’m not necessarily leaving for a better place. I’m leaving to follow my dream….
“I feel that this is the best time for me to leave. I was offered to stay but I decided to take this step,” said Blatt. “The truth is that I don’t know yet where I am going. There are several options, good options, and now that I have told Maccabi that I’m leaving I will intensify my talks with NBA teams. I just want to realize a dream and hold a significant role with an NBA team.”
The question is where that dream takes him — Golden State is talking to Blatt about being the lead assistant with Steve Kerr, taking charge of the Stephen Curry-led offense; Cleveland is talking to him about a head coaching job, where he would have Kyrie Irving and this year’s No. 1 pick to build an offense around. (There had been talk of Minnesota next to Flip Saunders, but with them hiring Sam Mitchell as the lead assistant/coach in waiting this option is now dead.)
This would be a great hire for either side, Blatt is one of the most innovative offensive minds around. Monte Pool explains.
Blatt is a proponent of constant ball movement and multiple picks, as well as players identifying and reaching preferred spots on the floor from which to shoot.
It’s hard to turn down a head coaching job if offered, but for selfish reasons as a fan of basketball I hope he takes the Golden State offer — his mind with those weapons could lead to one of the most interesting offenses in the league. A potential powerhouse. Do that for a year or two and he will have his head coaching job.
Either way, he is coming to the states.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23