Jun 12, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
Really, this is stating the obvious.
It’s fun to talk about fantasy basketball style player moves like Carmelo Anthony joining LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami. We can dream up scenarios on how that can happen (or LeBron can join ‘Melo in New York or Boston or with the Lakers, you can dream of anything).
Bosh threw some cold water on the idea Thursday.
After what we saw Pat Riley pull off in 2010, never say never. And there is little doubt around the league Carmelo Anthony is going to opt out of his Knicks deal. However, there are so many reasons that ‘Melo to the Heat is not likely.
• LeBron, Wade and Bosh would each have to leave more than $6 million a year on the table, ‘Melo more than $9 million from his max. All may be willing to take a little less, but that’s not a little (we will have more coming later on the financing of this idea).
• CAA represents most of these players (save LeBron), do you think this super agency is going to recommend they all leave that much money on the table?
• Does Pat Riley want to do this? Clearly Miami needs to evolve its roster if it wants to keep contending, however the combo-forward position is not exactly where the Heat are weak. Point guard, depth at the two guard, more shot blocking, depth in general, all of those are positional needs more than what ‘Melo brings.
• By the way, how happy do you think Riley and Erik Spoelstra are that this distraction leaked right before essentially a must-win Finals game? Exactly.
• Just because guys talked about it is different than actually doing it — are there any elite stars in the NBA who haven’t said they want to play with pretty much all the other elite stars? Well, outside Kobe.
Again, never say never. But Bosh is right about the likelihood of all of this coming together.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 21
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 37
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 56
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28