Jun 12, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Really, this is stating the obvious.
It’s fun to talk about fantasy basketball style player moves like Carmelo Anthony joining LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami. We can dream up scenarios on how that can happen (or LeBron can join ‘Melo in New York or Boston or with the Lakers, you can dream of anything).
Bosh threw some cold water on the idea Thursday.
Chris Bosh tells Miami Herald's Barry Jackson he, LeBron and Wade have never discussed bringing in Carmelo. "It's very, very unlikely."—
Michael Wallace (@WallaceNBA_ESPN) June 12, 2014
After what we saw Pat Riley pull off in 2010, never say never. And there is little doubt around the league Carmelo Anthony is going to opt out of his Knicks deal. However, there are so many reasons that ‘Melo to the Heat is not likely.
• LeBron, Wade and Bosh would each have to leave more than $6 million a year on the table, ‘Melo more than $9 million from his max. All may be willing to take a little less, but that’s not a little (we will have more coming later on the financing of this idea).
• CAA represents most of these players (save LeBron), do you think this super agency is going to recommend they all leave that much money on the table?
• Does Pat Riley want to do this? Clearly Miami needs to evolve its roster if it wants to keep contending, however the combo-forward position is not exactly where the Heat are weak. Point guard, depth at the two guard, more shot blocking, depth in general, all of those are positional needs more than what ‘Melo brings.
• By the way, how happy do you think Riley and Erik Spoelstra are that this distraction leaked right before essentially a must-win Finals game? Exactly.
• Just because guys talked about it is different than actually doing it — are there any elite stars in the NBA who haven’t said they want to play with pretty much all the other elite stars? Well, outside Kobe.
Again, never say never. But Bosh is right about the likelihood of all of this coming together.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 19
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65