Jun 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Only two NBA coaching jobs remain open, the Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers.
Could Nate McMillan end up with one of those jobs? The veteran coach has been contacted by both teams, reports Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com.
Two NBA teams with head coach openings have reached out to the representatives of Indiana Pacers assistant coach Nate McMillan, league sources informed CSNNW.com at AmericanAirlines Arena on Tuesday night.
Contact was made merely on an exploratory basis to gauge his level of interest, said a source who requested anonymity.
Again there are two open jobs, so if two teams reached out….
McMillan is a former head coach of the Seattle Sonics and the Portland Trail Blazers who currently is Frank Vogel’s lead assistant with the Pacers. McMillan has a dozen years experience as a head coach and had a winning overall record of 478-452. His teams tended to play at a slow pace but were efficient on offense.
McMillan fits in the mold of veteran coaches that the Lakers have spoken to (Alvin Gentry, Byron Scott, Lionel Hollins, and so on). Cleveland’s search has been all over the map, including an aggressive pursuit of John Calipari.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 4
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 23
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17