Jun 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Only two NBA coaching jobs remain open, the Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers.
Could Nate McMillan end up with one of those jobs? The veteran coach has been contacted by both teams, reports Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com.
Two NBA teams with head coach openings have reached out to the representatives of Indiana Pacers assistant coach Nate McMillan, league sources informed CSNNW.com at AmericanAirlines Arena on Tuesday night.
Contact was made merely on an exploratory basis to gauge his level of interest, said a source who requested anonymity.
Again there are two open jobs, so if two teams reached out….
McMillan is a former head coach of the Seattle Sonics and the Portland Trail Blazers who currently is Frank Vogel’s lead assistant with the Pacers. McMillan has a dozen years experience as a head coach and had a winning overall record of 478-452. His teams tended to play at a slow pace but were efficient on offense.
McMillan fits in the mold of veteran coaches that the Lakers have spoken to (Alvin Gentry, Byron Scott, Lionel Hollins, and so on). Cleveland’s search has been all over the map, including an aggressive pursuit of John Calipari.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7