Jun 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Only two NBA coaching jobs remain open, the Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers.
Could Nate McMillan end up with one of those jobs? The veteran coach has been contacted by both teams, reports Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com.
Two NBA teams with head coach openings have reached out to the representatives of Indiana Pacers assistant coach Nate McMillan, league sources informed CSNNW.com at AmericanAirlines Arena on Tuesday night.
Contact was made merely on an exploratory basis to gauge his level of interest, said a source who requested anonymity.
Again there are two open jobs, so if two teams reached out….
McMillan is a former head coach of the Seattle Sonics and the Portland Trail Blazers who currently is Frank Vogel’s lead assistant with the Pacers. McMillan has a dozen years experience as a head coach and had a winning overall record of 478-452. His teams tended to play at a slow pace but were efficient on offense.
McMillan fits in the mold of veteran coaches that the Lakers have spoken to (Alvin Gentry, Byron Scott, Lionel Hollins, and so on). Cleveland’s search has been all over the map, including an aggressive pursuit of John Calipari.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20