Jun 11, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
If she does so successfully, she’ll have control of the Sterling Family Trust and can sell the Clippers to Steve Ballmer.
If she fails?
The NBA will reinstitute its termination hearing against Donald Sterling if he is successful in probate court
Donald is losing the Clippers one way or another – either the probate judge will give Shelly authority to sell them or the NBA will vote to remove his ownership. The outcome in court matters a great deal more for Shelly.
If she can sell the Clippers to Ballmer on her own terms, she’ll remain part of the franchise. (This is why it matters significantly to Ballmer, too.)
But if the NBA removes Donald’s ownership, she also loses hers. That means the NBA would manage the sale – a whole new process – and she’d get nothing but her half of the sale price.
By all indications, the NBA is betting Shelly will prevail. The league has reportedly reviewed Donald’s medical report and has also surely seen the all-important trust details. If the NBA didn’t believe Shelly could sell the team, I doubt it would have cancelled its vote – originally scheduled for June 3 – to remove Donald as owner.
Donald’s lawyer, of course, claims his client is far from mentally incapacitated.
This court case – against his wife – might be the one time I’m rooting for Donald to win. If he does, that means he and Shelly would be voted out, and I don’t especially want to see her remain part of the Clippers.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11