Jun 11, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Do the San Antonio Spurs plan to hire Ettore Messina?
Spurs general manager R.C. Buford indicates otherwise.
Buford, via Mike Monroe of Spurs Nation:
“Is someone leaving our staff that I don’t know about?” Buford said when asked about the Messina report. “We have not had one conversation with anyone about a coaching position for next season.”
Well, about that.
Steve Kerr succeeded Engelland as the top perimeter gun at Pacific Palisades High School in Southern California and, according to NBA coaching sources, wants to bring him to the Bay Area to sit on the Warriors’ bench.
new Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder also said to be in the hunt
At the risk of sounding reading to much into Buford’s statement, he never denies a plan to hire Messina.
Is a San Antonio assistant leaving? Did Buford say one wasn’t? Or is he just asking questions? Do you understand how he might be dodging something?
It’s also possible Buford has spoken not with Messina, but his agent. Or perhaps the talks were vaguer than “next season” and based on when there’s an opening with a wink at the end.
Buford’s quote could be a creative way of misleading without outright lying – a line many in his position are comfortable walking with the media. Whether he’s doing that here or not, I have no idea.
I just wouldn’t write off Messina to the Spurs based on that quote alone.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 28
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 4
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 19
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19