Kevin Love, is it true you want out of Minnesota? ‘Uh, you know, my agent is handling everything at this point.’
Jun 11, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Up until now, the reports of Kevin Love wanting out of Minnesota were just that, with zero confirmation behind them coming from the player himself.
That changed a bit on Wednesday, when Love appeared on ESPN’s SportsNation.
Love was (of course) grilled by the panel about whether or not he wants to leave, and his answers didn’t exactly inspire Timberwolves fans into holding out hope that he would be willing to stay.
When asked if the reports were true, Love hesitated before deflecting responsibility.
“Uh, you know, my agent is handling everything at this point,” he said. “I’m hoping that everything works out for all parties involved.”
Translation: Love is already gone.
The Timberwolves have more than half the league ready to trade for Love if the franchise heeds his apparent warning, that he’ll leave at the end of next season in free agency if he isn’t traded sooner. But if he really wants to go, speaking about it publicly — even non-specifically like this — only hurts his chances.
Minnesota obviously would like to get assets in return for its franchise player, but any offers will be diminished if Love continues to force the issue. The Timberwolves could ride out the season with him in place if nothing enticing enough comes along. It would only delay the inevitable, but would keep Love in a purgatory of sorts for a season longer than necessary.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 5
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 9
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7