Just to reiterate: Dirk Nowitzki is not leaving Dallas, will get fast new deal

Jun 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

NBA: Pelicans v Mavericks Getty Images

Such is the lure of fans free agent fervor that even the ridiculous, the never going to happen, the rumors that fly in the face of all logic still end up getting people hooked and talking about them.

Like Dirk Nowitzki leaving the Dallas Mavericks.

Yes, Nowitzki will be a free agent this summer. That said there is nobody — not figuratively, literally nobody — around the NBA who thinks Nowitzki is going to bolt his friend Mark Cuban and the Dallas Mavericks this summer. Yet a few rumors persisted, like that he might bolt to the rival Houston Rockets.

Nowitzki made it clear again to the Dallas Morning News he is not looking to go anywhere.

As he entertained and interacted with about 100 kids at the T. Boone Pickens YMCA in downtown Dallas, Nowitzki took time to explain that he expects to be a free agent on July 1 – for less than a day, if possible.

“Usually, we get it over quick,” Nowitzki said. “Four years ago, I met with Mark (Cuban) on July 2nd. I don’t like the period of not knowing what’s going on. I don’t like the unknown. Mark and I will hopefully find a good deal for both parties.”

Nowitzki even laughed when it was mentioned that the Houston Rockets – bitter rivals down Interstate 45 and the team that Dwight Howard spurned the Mavericks and Nowitzki for last summer in free agency — have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for him.

“The quote was more that they’re going for every guy that’s out there,” he said. “And that, I guess, includes me. But I doubt I’ll be out there long.”

Mark Cuban has also said he will not let Nowitzki get away and they will reach a fair deal.

There are few sure things in life: Death, taxes, and that Ben & Jerry make a good ice cream. Add to that Dirk Nowitzki staying put in Dallas. It is a certainty.

Now we can move on to the strange idea LeBron James thinks leaving Pat Riley and Miami is a good idea….

1. Kevin S. - Jun 11, 2014 at 2:12 PM

If the right situation of a team with young superstars and enough cap space opened up, I could see LeBron leaving the aging core in South Beach behind. That situation is not available this summer. I *could* see him opting out and re-signing for a shorter term max-dollar deal to make up some of the money he left on the table while maintaining flexibility in the near future, but I’m fairly sure he’s there for at least another two years.

2. yesser12 - Jun 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Dirk is basically a Maverick for life. They seem pretty loyal to him an I think he is to them.

3. sportsfan18 - Jun 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Too bad Dirk didn’t reach free agency before KoHog – KoMe did… as he could have seen how a true superstar takes CARE of HIS team…

• therealhtj - Jun 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Dirk was eligible for the same type of extension Kobe got – difference was an owner with a clue and a player with a conscience and desire to sacrifice in ALL WAYS to win.

4. jimeejohnson - Jun 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Dirk’s not giving up that killer Texas BBQ for German schnitzel any time soon.

• bkbell3 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Also with Dirk giving Cuban hometown deals does anybody not think that Dirk is going to have a job for life at 1-2 mil. per year to show up and shake hands and take pictures once every few months? And for therealhj above dirk ain’t winning another chip ever in Dallas. Top free agent don’t seem to want to go there and Cuban wasted Dirks career making wholesale changes every year chasing shinny objects that never panned out. Also I think koby’s contract is to much but he did take a 7mil dollar cut in pay and apparently the Lakers wanted to reward him for his career and maybe that’s the kind of thing that makes the Lakers the Lakers and the mav’s the mav’s. Cuban is like Jerry Jones a great owner for the players but both are in love with the sound of their voices and the attention and both need to shut up and get out of the way and let the professionals make the decisions and I’m a Cowboy fan.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 12, 2014 at 4:16 AM

jimee…would I be wrong in thinking that you’re a well traveled man that has had A LOT of great eatery in ones lifetime? Correct me if I’m wrong plz.

5. ybizzel - Jun 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Dirk is a German Texan now. They can’t pay him enough to leave Dallas I don’t care what team it is. I respect that

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches