Jun 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Such is the lure of fans free agent fervor that even the ridiculous, the never going to happen, the rumors that fly in the face of all logic still end up getting people hooked and talking about them.
Like Dirk Nowitzki leaving the Dallas Mavericks.
Yes, Nowitzki will be a free agent this summer. That said there is nobody — not figuratively, literally nobody — around the NBA who thinks Nowitzki is going to bolt his friend Mark Cuban and the Dallas Mavericks this summer. Yet a few rumors persisted, like that he might bolt to the rival Houston Rockets.
Nowitzki made it clear again to the Dallas Morning News he is not looking to go anywhere.
As he entertained and interacted with about 100 kids at the T. Boone Pickens YMCA in downtown Dallas, Nowitzki took time to explain that he expects to be a free agent on July 1 – for less than a day, if possible.
“Usually, we get it over quick,” Nowitzki said. “Four years ago, I met with Mark (Cuban) on July 2nd. I don’t like the period of not knowing what’s going on. I don’t like the unknown. Mark and I will hopefully find a good deal for both parties.”
Nowitzki even laughed when it was mentioned that the Houston Rockets – bitter rivals down Interstate 45 and the team that Dwight Howard spurned the Mavericks and Nowitzki for last summer in free agency — have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for him.
“The quote was more that they’re going for every guy that’s out there,” he said. “And that, I guess, includes me. But I doubt I’ll be out there long.”
Mark Cuban has also said he will not let Nowitzki get away and they will reach a fair deal.
There are few sure things in life: Death, taxes, and that Ben & Jerry make a good ice cream. Add to that Dirk Nowitzki staying put in Dallas. It is a certainty.
Now we can move on to the strange idea LeBron James thinks leaving Pat Riley and Miami is a good idea….
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 15
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32