Byron Scott to have second interview with Lakers

Jun 11, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT

Byron Scott

A lot of other names have come up over the weeks, but Byron Scott was always the Morning Line favorite to get the Lakers’ head coaching job.

For the last two coaches the Lakers’ brain trust went with someone outside the “Lakers family” and neither turned out well. Not that it was all on the coaches, but there is always a belief that going back to people you trust solves problems.

Scott, a Buss family favorite among former Lakers, was one of the first to be interviewed and now he is about to have a second interview, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN. Scott is the first to get a second interview.

That would be the same Byron Scott who said Kobe needed to alter his game at this point in his career.

Scott guided the Nets to back-to-back NBA Finals, had a down-and-up-and-down tenure in New Orleans where he coached Chris Paul, then struggled in Cleveland where he needed to develop players. Scott did well when he had good, veteran talent to coach but has struggled to be as good with younger teams.

What kind of team are the Lakers going to be next season? I’m not even sure Mitch Kupchak has that answer.

But Scott could be the man in the big chair. Because he is Lakers family, after all.

1. kb2408 - Jun 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Hire him already, he’s the obvious choice!

• k3nn3k - Jun 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Not that obvious if they are wanting to really make a run at Lebron like they claim. Cleveland hired Scott to try to bring Lebron back…that didn’t work. Lakers could make the same mistake.

Either they make a play at Lebron and Scott is out…or they hire Scott and have no chance at Lebron.

• romestar82 - Jun 11, 2014 at 12:12 PM

LeBron is not coming to L.A nor do I want him here ,he’s a Heatle. Hire B.Scott already!

• loungefly74 - Jun 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM

yeah, i don’t think Lebron is going anywhere….

• kb2408 - Jun 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM

As much as I’d love to see LBJ in PURP & GOLD, I doubt that he will leave Miami. I really don’t think he wants a 3rd team attached to his legacy.

• k3nn3k - Jun 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I guess I should preface that I’m not a Lakers fan and that I don’t think Lebron is leaving Miami to go to LA. But LA seems to think they are going to make a play at him, and hiring Scott won’t be the answer.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 12, 2014 at 4:22 AM

I’d be 100% down if the LAKERS gave him a 3 year deal (3rd year team option if possible) for somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-10 million total.

2. jkirby317 - Jun 11, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Byron Scott was a great PLAYER. I think he may be an even BETTER coach.
    It’s shocking that guys get jobs straight off the court when legit coaching candidates like BSCOTT are on the outside looking in.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Byron Scott was an outstanding player. He was the leading scorer on an NBA Championship team that won over 60 games in 1988, and he did it by shooting 52% from the field. He’s one of those guys that you wish there was a Hall of Extremely Good for.

• jkirby317 - Jun 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM

He played for the Pacers at the end of his career and hit a HUGE shot in the Playoffs against the Magic. He is a great coach!

3. scbaby2013 - Jun 11, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Hire b Scott….he has taken a team to the finals with the nets and knows the lakers winning tradition….I love LA

4. lakerade - Jun 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Why so few posts lately? Just end of season crickets? I’m fiending for more NBA news, but not so much about the Lakers’ next coach. Whether it’s Scott or not, this coming season depends on Kobe, as usual (last time?).

5. skins26portis - Jun 11, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Regardless if they hire Scott or any other coach the Lakers are toast again. No superstar wants to play with Kobe cause when they stink he will throw you under the bus . Lakers won’t make the playoffs next season

6. sumkat - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:49 AM

I mean, I’d have to give 2 weeks notice at my current job, but is there a reason I haven’t got a call?

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches