Andrew Bogut doesn’t like that you know how much he makes

Jun 11, 2014, 11:14 PM EST

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors - Game Six Getty Images

It must be a strange  to have your salary be made public, with people around the nation and around the Web (yours truly included) debating whether you are worth that sum.

That said, it’s part of the package of being a professional athlete, one that comes with a whole lot of perks, too. Including millions of dollars in salary.

Andrew Bogut will make $12.97 million next season as the starting center and defensive anchor of the Golden State Warriors (and to complete the circle, he is worth it by basketball standards when healthy).  He has two years, $23 million guaranteed left on his deal after that season.

Bogut isn’t a fan of us having that information and the effects that follow, he told the Courier Mail newspaper back in his native Australia.

You play on a team and you have got two blokes who are free agents at the end of the year and they are trying to get their numbers up. They want to get paid the next year and, on top of that, you are trying to win games and keep team camaraderie.

What do you think of your salary being made public?

I disagree with the publishing of figures. The big paper in the States, The USA Today, actually has a lift-out every three or four months which has every professional athlete’s salary in every sport in America. You have a bunch of women cutting that out and following guys around at night clubs. It just creates a plethora of problems.

Note to Bogut: I see where you’re going with this, but if your complaint about making millions of dollars is that some women throw themselves shamelessly at you, that’s not really going to come off how you intend it. Just a heads up.

There is no perfect job (well, except for Phil Keoghan’s, I’ll take his in a heartbeat) they all come with various levels of perks and drawbacks. I love my job, wouldn’t trade it for anyone’s but Phil’s, but I wouldn’t mind making Andrew Bogut money. I’ll suffer through the drawbacks.

I don’t think Bogut would trade his job for anything either. But we all have things about our jobs we complain about, even if we really shouldn’t. We just all need to vent now and again.

1. getlow81 - Jun 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Maybe you could like you know, put a little note as to who the heck Phil Keoghan is? Just a thought.

• k3nn3k - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Highlight the name, press control+c, then paste it into google or yahoo or simply into your web address bar…and boom!

All of the answers are at your finger tips! Amazing huh?! or should I say….Amazing Race….HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously…you’re on the internet, use the thing!

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Why have to do that? That’s like telling a joke and then having to explain it.

• eugenesaxe1 - Jun 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM

It’s called “good writing”. Try it some time.

• don444 - Jun 15, 2014 at 4:23 AM

It would appear that my comment was childishly censored by someone. I’m guessing I wasn’t supposed to notice. Oh well, YOU saw what I said and I couldn’t care less if it irked you and struck a chord so to hell with this board.

2. sumkat - Jun 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Well, me and Bogut have something in common. I don’t like knowing how much he gets paid to be not very good either

• sportsfan18 - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM

“…to be not very good either.”

Except he is good.

Is he great? No, but one may not say, while being honest, that Bogut isn’t very good either.

He’s ABOVE league average and based on that alone, that makes him better than “not very good either”.

He’s well above league average when it comes to defense.

Add it all up and he’s in the top third for centers easily and higher on many folks lists than that.

Fine, you don’t like or care for him. At least be honest though.

Oh, I’m not a Bogut fan or a fan of any team he’s been on. I’ve rooted for the Bulls since the mid 70’s.

Bogut’s just another player to me.

• sumkat - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:44 AM

if he’s “ABOVE average” (not sure why you would capitalize above, but whatever), that is not very good

Is he very good? (that would of been somewhere to capitalize to add emphasis to the point, but i’ll avoid being annoying)

Than “not very good” is an accurate description

3. nflcrimerankingscom - Jun 11, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Typical “celebrity”. Want to be paid for being well-known without the responsibilities that come with being well-known.

4. thomasmorelancaster - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM

How would you feel if all your friends knew what you made?

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Truthfully, pay for certain job titles can be googled, but I know what you mean though

5. coffeeblack95616 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Please, no one cares what you or anyone else makes. People only care what the very top and bottom make. I could care less if people knew I made $75,000 a year after 11 years with my company after having paid what I paid to earn two degrees and a masters. Big flippin’ deal.

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM

You should have posted a pic of yourself and your name to complete the brag

6. dinofrank60 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:25 AM

The big paper?? USA Today??? Huh???

• eugenesaxe1 - Jun 12, 2014 at 2:18 AM

It’s the only newspaper sold coast-to-coast, except maybe the Wall Street Journal. So yeah.

7. mvp43 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Go throw some shrimp on the barbie and relax……

8. jadaruler - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Doesn’t matter what Bogut makes, its about Bogut staying healthy. He’s fragile and hasn’t lived up to the hype.

9. arrondior - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM

LOL most of the country is like “Andrew… WHO????”

10. djshnooks - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:48 AM

You got two degrees and a masters…

But, you still failed to realize it is “I COULDN’T care less!”

I’d ask that school for a refund, because they failed to teach you proper grammar.

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:18 PM

100 thumbs up

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches