Jun 11, 2014, 11:14 PM EST
It must be a strange to have your salary be made public, with people around the nation and around the Web (yours truly included) debating whether you are worth that sum.
That said, it’s part of the package of being a professional athlete, one that comes with a whole lot of perks, too. Including millions of dollars in salary.
Andrew Bogut will make $12.97 million next season as the starting center and defensive anchor of the Golden State Warriors (and to complete the circle, he is worth it by basketball standards when healthy). He has two years, $23 million guaranteed left on his deal after that season.
Bogut isn’t a fan of us having that information and the effects that follow, he told the Courier Mail newspaper back in his native Australia.
You play on a team and you have got two blokes who are free agents at the end of the year and they are trying to get their numbers up. They want to get paid the next year and, on top of that, you are trying to win games and keep team camaraderie.
What do you think of your salary being made public?
I disagree with the publishing of figures. The big paper in the States, The USA Today, actually has a lift-out every three or four months which has every professional athlete’s salary in every sport in America. You have a bunch of women cutting that out and following guys around at night clubs. It just creates a plethora of problems.
Note to Bogut: I see where you’re going with this, but if your complaint about making millions of dollars is that some women throw themselves shamelessly at you, that’s not really going to come off how you intend it. Just a heads up.
There is no perfect job (well, except for Phil Keoghan’s, I’ll take his in a heartbeat) they all come with various levels of perks and drawbacks. I love my job, wouldn’t trade it for anyone’s but Phil’s, but I wouldn’t mind making Andrew Bogut money. I’ll suffer through the drawbacks.
I don’t think Bogut would trade his job for anything either. But we all have things about our jobs we complain about, even if we really shouldn’t. We just all need to vent now and again.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 15
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6