Jun 10, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Now is the time of year when draft rumors abound, from ridiculous trade ideas (see the ‘Melo/Love to Boston rumors for example 1A) to teams throwing out smokescreens. All of which is to say, take your rumors with a grain or five of salt.
That said, the buzz from most around the league is there will be a lot of trades around the draft this year. After a quiet trade deadline a lot of teams are more willing to make moves.
That means a lot of rumors are floating around. For example, that the Philadelphia 76ers — already with the No. 3 pick — want to move up higher in the draft. The Bulls want to move up, too.
The Sixers actually have engaged the Cavs about moving to No. 1. They aren’t willing to give up both the Nos. 3 and 10 picks. But a combination of No. 3 and Thaddeus Young is a possibility. And it’s a great scenario for Wiggins, as well. Of the three top teams, his camp prefers the Sixers as the best possible fit. This could be a win-win for both.
The Bulls have been trying to move up in the draft to get an elite shooter. Their target has been Denver with an offer of the 16th and 19th pick for 11. If they get there, Gary Harris or Nik Stauskas will be the guy with them likely leaning toward Stauskas.
While you should take all that with the aforementioned salt, we should note the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting the Sixers are looking to move Thaddeus Young. They shopped him around at the deadline but didn’t get an offer they liked, so he was stuck on a tanking team. He wants out. The Sixers will move him but want some decent value back.
Still, lots of questions about these rumors.
Are the Sixers that sold on Wiggins? If so, and if they believe Cleveland will take him, then that is a good trade for them. But it only works if the Cavaliers are not as sold on Wiggins and think the guy they really want (Jarbari Parker or Joel Embiid) would fall to No. 3. Young would be a good fit for the Cavs, but he has an early termination after next season so, much like Luol Deng, the Cavaliers would have to persuade him to stay. How much are they willing to really give up for that?
The Bulls are looking everywhere for more shooting, the draft is part of that search.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48