Jun 10, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Take this report with a handful of salt for two key reasons:
1) Whenever a player is going through rehab and workouts to get back the teams are generous with compliments, to encourage the steps.
2) Knicks GM Steve Mills is not exactly the power broker in the Knicks front office. Nice title but he’s not the guy making the call.
That said, after the Derek Fisher introductory press conference broke up, Mills was interviewed on a variety of topics and was asked about Lamar Odom, who is supposed to be working out with the Knicks this summer and getting back in basketball shape. Odom is technically under contract for next season with the Knicks but that is not a guaranteed deal.
Mills said he liked the track Odom was on and expected him to be part of the Knicks team next season.
We’ll see. Odom has a lot of personal things to get over to get his head right enough to get back in the league. If he can do that, can he get a body that will turn 35 early next season into a condition well enough to play in the NBA again?
Here is what Jackson said about Odom a few weeks back when asked:
“We know he’s a really good basketball player. If he wants to put himself back together in a basketball life, he’s got a chance to do this by having a whole summer to work at it and get himself back in basketball condition so he can play. He’s told me that’s what he wanted to do. Having a relationship with him, I figure this is a pretty good risk/reward situation for us.”
The Knicks could use a guy like Odom, at least the old Odom. First off, his point forward skills are difficult to find in this league. Second, the Knicks could use guys that know the triangle offense because that is what Fisher suggested he would run, and it’s an offense that takes a while to really grasp because it is read and react, not traditional set plays. Tom Thibodeau brought Brian Scalabrine over from Boston to Chicago as a player, not because Scalabrine was phenomenal at his defensive schemes, but he understood them and could almost serve as a second coach when teaching the system. Odom could serve that kind of role.
If he is ready.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
That’s what he does.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Sibert played four years in college.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Owning this may be better than seeing Space Jam 2 with Lebron James, if that project comes together.
Aug 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He’s a coach, a brother.” — Lakers’ co-owner Jim Buss on Byron Scott
Aug 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s not a coincidence you see stars like Chris Paul, LeBron James, Tim Duncan and Russell Westbrook in a highlight package like this.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Hollins’ likes to slow things down.
Aug 28, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
It is going to be a rough year in Denver as they give the keys to the offense to a rookie point guard.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:46 PM EDT
I wouldn’t bet on him making the roster.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Will either of them take a discount for security?
Aug 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Charles Barkley talked about how he never found Dawkins in a bad mood — he was always jovial.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
Boozer is making the right play here.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
It shouldn’t linger into training camp if he doesn’t aggravate it.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:44 PM EDT
What did you expect he would say?
Aug 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Ballmer may just be ahead of the curve on this.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He did his damage in just 25 minutes.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:21 AM EDT
Spoiler: Thomas’ team won.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The Lakers co-owner isn’t closing the door.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
Get excited, Magic fans.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
No deal is in place as of now.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT
He calls DeMarcus Cousins his “brother.”
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 16
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10