Jun 10, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Try these reports on for size
$80 million?! That’s ridiculous money – and if true – incredible Calipari turned it down and very telling about his perception of Dan Gilbert and the Cavaliers. That, unlike the originally reported offer, is a lot more than he’s making at Kentucky.
Apparently, making coaching decisions on the slimmest chances of landing LeBron James has become en vogue. But the Lakers doing it too makes that strategy no less absurd. I suppose Calipari would help Cleveland’s chance of luring LeBron, but I doubt going from miniscule to extremely slim is worth $80 million.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports doesn’t buy that higher salary offer, but he adds another wrinkle.
Calipari failed with the New Jersey Nets, but he might deserve another chance to coach in the NBA. But a promotion? C’mon. Calipari is a fine coach, but there’s nothing in his résumé that indicates he deserves to become a president of an NBA team. It’s barely tolerable as a secondary title – assuming there’s a powerful general manager in place – to go along with coaching, but to make that his primary job would even more misguided.
Before covering that, it’s worth noting Joe Lull of 92.3 The Fan’s report:
David Griffin became the Cavaliers’ interim general manager mid-season when they fired Chris Grant. I believe it would have been helpful to clue in your general manager, even if he was just an interim and especially if he might become permanent, about your pursuit of a coach.
More importantly, Griffin became permanent general manager when Cleveland fired Mike Brown as coach. That means either Gilbert went behind Brown’s back or Griffin’s. Neither is a good look.
Pick and choose what you want to believe about the the Cavaliers’ pursuit of Calipari. There are definitely conflicting accounts. But whatever you’re left with, there are definitely some strange details.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 15
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 8
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4