Jun 9, 2014, 5:32 PM EDT
Jackson patiently waited for Fisher to finish playing for the Thunder, who made a lengthy playoff run with him as their backup point guard.
Finally, Fisher and Jackson spoke – and this negotiation didn’t last as long as the Knicks’ with Kerr.
New York needn’t worry about finding a Plan C.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Howard Beck of Bleacher Report:
Strange that the Knicks would offer Fisher, their backup choice, more than they offered Kerr. Maybe James Dolan, Jackson and whomever else is running the show in New York wised up to market forces.
They got their man this time – not that Fisher is guaranteed to succeed.
Not even close.
Fisher has no coaching experience – his playing career apparently ended less than two weeks ago – but he’s highly regarded for his on-court decision making. Although that’s definitely a positive, I don’t think it translates to coaching as seamlessly as many others do.
It won’t help if Jackson stocks the coaching staff with failed head coaches and others without experience just because they once played for him.
But Jackson – one of the greatest coaches in NBA history – could overcome all this doubt. If Jackson planned to coach through Kerr, that’s probably the same strategy he’ll use with Fisher.
This could be an incredible opportunity for Fisher, whose salary more than triples from this season as a player. Not only that, a chance to learn under Jackson could be invaluable for someone with no coaching experience. If Fisher isn’t ready to excel as an NBA coach – and I doubt he is – Jackson can guide him through rough water. Of course, that’s predicated on Jackson, a first-time executive, knowing how to manage from the front office.
Fisher has his work cut out for him with an old roster that might lose its best player, Carmelo Anthony, and has minimal salary-cap flexibility to upgrade. But Fisher is not in that boat alone.
Jackson has his work cut out for him, too – and this hire doesn’t make Jackson’s job any easier.
Dan Patrick Show: Kenny Smith endorses going straight from playing to coaching
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 19
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 51
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18