Jun 9, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
SAN ANTONIO — The San Antonio Spurs remain the team that better uses their system to extract the most from their players, they are the coach’s dream where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
But the Heat have LeBron James.
That was enough to even the NBA Finals at 1-1. LeBron went off for 35 points on 64 percent shooting and carried the Heat to the Game 2 win.
In the video above you see how LeBron’s game just took what the Spurs gave him. In the first half they were more up in his face, playing him tight, so he put the ball on the floor and drove to the rim. At halftime the Spurs adjusted, played back on him to take away those drives and he just drained jumper after jumper. What else can the Spurs do?
“Well, you can go double him if you want,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after the game, when asked why they didn’t. “He’s a pretty good player. I’m going to guess he’s going to find the open man.”
LeBron did that too, with Chris Bosh in the corner for a three that put Miami ahead for the night.
PBT Extra: Who has upper hand in NBA Finals now?
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 14
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 16
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17