LeBron James: ‘I’m the easiest target that we have in sports.’

Jun 9, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

LeBron James might face the most criticism – in both its width and depth – of any athlete who has won a championship at the highest level of his sport.

If not, he’s almost definitely the most criticized athlete with two titles.

Nothing guarantees widespread support, but a championship comes closest.

Except for LeBron – and he knows it.

LeBron in an interview with ESPN’s Michael Wilbon:

I’m the easiest target that we have in sports.

Jeez, LeBron is so narcissistic. He thinks everyone is always talking about him.

Because they often are.

LeBron might be narcissistic, though his millions of dollars and adoring fans certainly predispose him to that mindset. That LeBron isn’t more self-centered is something of a miracle.

Of course, LeBron brought a lot of the criticism on himself. The Decision TV special was poorly considered. The gaudy press conference upon arriving in Miami – including, “not two, not three…” – further showcased LeBron’s arrogance. He held an entitlement he hadn’t yet earned.

But since, he’s earned it. He led the Heat to two straight championships – titles that were not at all handed to him. Miami’s loss to the Mavericks in the 2011 Finals should prove that.

LeBron has a good supporting cast. But even with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, it isn’t the best ever assembled. LeBron has earned his rings.

Yet, widespread respect has curiously eluded him.

Does that motivate him?

I can’t play the game of basketball or live my life on what other people expect me to do or what they think I should do. That doesn’t make me happy. What makes me happy is being able to make plays for my teammates, to be able to represent the name on the back of my jersey. That’s what makes me happy. What everybody else thinks, that doesn’t really matter to me.

I don’t really believe that. LeBron’s pre-Finals mind games show he cares what people think – and there’s nothing wrong with that. Most people do.

LeBron just didn’t need to imagine slights to motive himself. If he looked a little harder, real critics surrounded him.

It took only one game to get reminded of that.

PBT Extra: Who has upper hand in NBA Finals now?

Latest Posts
  1. Chris Kaman has new reality show, to air on Mark Cuban’s network

Jul 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers

“I think someone who would watch this would think there is something wrong with me and something wrong with my friends.” — Chris Kaman

2. Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves

Jul 29, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT

Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller

Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns are about to be finishing alley-oops from the best lob passer in the game.

3. Warriors promote Luke Walton to lead assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Kerr says Luke Walton is a future head coach in the NBA.

4. Raptors’ coach Dwane Casey says expect more small ball from the Raptors this year

Jul 29, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Getty Images

Toronto has shifted the roster to be more defensive, and be able to go smaller.

5. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

6. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

7. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

8. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

9. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

10. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

11. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

12. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

13. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

Top 10 NBA Player Searches