Jun 9, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
LeBron James might face the most criticism – in both its width and depth – of any athlete who has won a championship at the highest level of his sport.
If not, he’s almost definitely the most criticized athlete with two titles.
Nothing guarantees widespread support, but a championship comes closest.
Except for LeBron – and he knows it.
I’m the easiest target that we have in sports.
Jeez, LeBron is so narcissistic. He thinks everyone is always talking about him.
Because they often are.
LeBron might be narcissistic, though his millions of dollars and adoring fans certainly predispose him to that mindset. That LeBron isn’t more self-centered is something of a miracle.
Of course, LeBron brought a lot of the criticism on himself. The Decision TV special was poorly considered. The gaudy press conference upon arriving in Miami – including, “not two, not three…” – further showcased LeBron’s arrogance. He held an entitlement he hadn’t yet earned.
But since, he’s earned it. He led the Heat to two straight championships – titles that were not at all handed to him. Miami’s loss to the Mavericks in the 2011 Finals should prove that.
Yet, widespread respect has curiously eluded him.
Does that motivate him?
I can’t play the game of basketball or live my life on what other people expect me to do or what they think I should do. That doesn’t make me happy. What makes me happy is being able to make plays for my teammates, to be able to represent the name on the back of my jersey. That’s what makes me happy. What everybody else thinks, that doesn’t really matter to me.
LeBron just didn’t need to imagine slights to motive himself. If he looked a little harder, real critics surrounded him.
It took only one game to get reminded of that.
PBT Extra: Who has upper hand in NBA Finals now?
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3