Report: Nuggets actively shopping No. 11 pick

Jun 8, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Nate Robinson, Andre Miller, Brian Shaw AP

The last time the Denver Nuggets had a lottery pick, they used the No. 3 selection on Carmelo Anthony, then went on to make the playoffs for the next decade.

They are back in the lottery this year after an injury plagued season, with the No. 11 pick.

But the Nuggets are shopping that pick around to see what they can get, reports the Denver Post.

Trading the selection for a veteran and moving up in the draft are the two areas of most interest to the Nuggets.

A number of teams have multiple picks or are overstocked with young players or disappointed with their draft position (even if it is higher than the Nuggets’) and would be willing to deal.

“I don’t think things will pick up until the next week or so,” (Nuggets general manager Tim) Connelly said. “But after a relatively quiet trade deadline, I think we’ll see a more active build-up to the draft. I would imagine we’ll have a lot of trades.”

He’s right about that — pretty much everyone around the league expects some big draft day moves, plus some larger trades in July. In recent years we’re seeing current GMs move more away from pressured deadline deals in February to making moves in the summer when they have the luxury of more time.

With a lot of teams looking to make moves the Nuggets have options, but so do their trading partners. Most likely the Nuggets will have to package that pick to get either a veteran or to move up, but they have assets.

Just something to watch as the draft nears.

1. brooklynnuggets - Jun 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Trade that to the Knicks for shump or the magics for affollo or keep it and draft rodney hood

• Kevin S. - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:02 PM

A lottery pick for one year of Iman Shumpert and the right to overpay him in RFA next summer? No, thank you.

• brooklynnuggets - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Nobody would over pay shump. He looking at a tony Allen contract

• yesser12 - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Is Hood really worth the #11 pick? Think that is a reach.

• brooklynnuggets - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM

He can flat out play we can slide him over to sg who would not like to see a 6’8 sg who can attack the rim defend n shoot 3’s?

• spursareold - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM

11 is WAY too early for Hood. You could take that pick and trade back to Chicago for 16 and 19, and Hood would still be there at 19.

2. brooklynnuggets - Jun 8, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Or trade it to the raps for Terrence Ross

3. nilla619 - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM

We already had Affollo we don’t need him again. I like Hood a lot but that’s to early for him I would rather have the nuggets draft James Young

• brooklynnuggets - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Affolo is way better then when we had him. I like James young too but he is a project at this moment it’s no way he can reach his full potential over here with all the players we have on our roster lets just get somebody that can help now in his physically ready

4. saint1997 - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I really think Phil is licking his lips at this one, 11 might be too high but Knicks should really look to grab Elfrid Payton (more around 20th pick) and then address other concern in FA

• sumkat - Jun 8, 2014 at 7:38 PM

They have nothing to give up for 20, let alone 11

• muathjam21 - Jun 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Lol, I don’t think he understands how screwed the Knicks are.

• sumkat - Jun 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Maybe I can help him out then.

There is a better chance the Philly gives them Thad Young and a few 2nds (better than anything the Kicks can offer), and picks 3/10/11. The chances of that happening? Almost 0 in this draft

5. sumkat - Jun 8, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Not surprised at all. I said this when they put out the story about a week ago talking about how the #11 pick would have no major impact in his first season. It was planting the seed to move it for a more “established” player.

Not the worst idea, the 11 pick is going to be worth much more this year than it normally is. If I’m them, I probably just keep adding young guys and seeing what I can build. I don’t see them that is, or even really has the potential to be a powerhouse. A fringe playoff team? Sure, but they aren’t going to win anything

6. weaselpuppy - Jun 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Tan Van Gundy calling on behalf of JSmoove on line 1….

7. haaaaasoooooo - Jun 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM

J snooze wants to be coached. Allegedly!
    How about Milwaukee gives em Sanders for #11?

• sumkat - Jun 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM

I doubt the Nuggets can absorb that kind of salary. They did just give him a big extension, right? (I’m not positive about that). Not sure the Nuggets have much dead salary to give back. It won’t be much more than that. If the player thrown in is any good, Sanders won’t get it done

I don’t think the Sanders stock has fallen to the point that you can’t get anything back for him in a trade, but I do think it’s fallen enough that you aren’t going to get someone to absorb his deal without taking even salary back. So it’s either going to have to be a player swap. If they just want a pick, they are going to have to eat a bad contract on top of it.

Either way, would of been more likely if they had the top pick, and were getting Embiid

8. haaaaasoooooo - Jun 8, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Wait wait! Milwaukee will throw in Chunky Mayo too, just to sweeten the deal!

9. bronx77 - Jun 8, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I think Denver should try to trade up. If they can’t get closer to the top of the draft trade out of 11 because like others have said it is a more valuable pick this year and you can get a good veteran with it. I would prefer to trade up if I was them though

10. haaaaasoooooo - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Sanders deal is 4yrs-44mil. I think a swap for javale McGee is pointless apples-4-apples swap. Cleveland might be a better trade partner, because he could actually play there right away.
    Looking at this draft, the team that could make a big step forward is the team that gets a top five, AND then get another great pick at pick 10-20(a la philly). Staukas, doogie mcbuckets, or to a lesser degree, Levine, could be very good value in that range.
    It scares me that the bucks are in love with Exum, because he’s so unproven, BUT, they did find the Freak in a very weak draft last year, so if they like Exum, OK!
    But dumping sanders for a top twenty and some crap salary would be great! He’s a locker room cancer. Just ask Gary Neal.

11. imthewiz77 - Jun 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Thad Young for the 11th and we’ll take back a bad contract

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches