Jun 7, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Arron Afflalo was the best player on the Orlando Magic last season, averaging 18.2 points per game and shot a career high .574 true shooting percentage despite having a much more prominent role in the offense and a lot more attention from defenses than ever before. But the Magic won just 23 games last season. It was a rough year.
Afflalo wouldn’t mind moving on to a team that wins.
Magic SG Arron Afflalo holds a player option for 2015-16 and can become a free agent after next season. Orlando’s classy leading scorer wouldn’t mind being moved to a playoff team. The clock is ticking loudly on his career as he’ll turn 29 in October.
Afflalo is owed a very reasonable $7.8 million next season, that for a quality two guard who can knock down the three and plays quality defense. There are a number of teams that could use him.
There’s going to be interest, but maybe not at the price the Magic are hoping to get.
This is not exactly the Kevin Love situation where there is pressure on the Magic to make a move, they are not at risk of losing a franchise cornerstone here. They could lose a quality player, but this is a young rebuilding team that should eventually draft/pick up a young point guard, move Victor Oladipo to Afflalo’s two guard spot and let them develop. If they lose Afflalo for nothing, it’s not that big a setback.
Just another name and scenario to watch as we head into the draft.
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 0
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8