Jun 7, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
After waiting for Steve Kerr to coach the Knicks only to see the Warriors poach him, Jackson faces less competition for his backup candidate.
The Lakers have decided they need a coach with previous NBA coaching experience, which means one thing for Derek Fisher: He isn’t a candidate.
I’ll admit, as a lover of chaos, I wanted to see Jackson wait all this time and then strike out with Fisher like he did with Kerr. Then what would the Knicks do? There seemed to be no plan B after Kerr, and now there might be no plan C after Fisher.
Fisher hasn’t announced his retirement from playing, so there’s still a chance he spurns Jackson for another contract with the Thunder or other team.
Or he could simply choose to do something other than playing or coaching the Knicks next year. Though he was confident in his ability to coach Kobe, Fisher might not rush to oversee J.R. Smith and Raymond Felton.
As for the Lakers, their decision eliminates pure college coaches – though the two they’ve been linked to have already essentially recused themselves from the search. North Carolina’s Roy Williams denied interest, and Kentucky’s John Calipari just signed a monster contract extension.
The Lakers have interviewed five veteran coaches, and though their search could still expand, predicting their next coach should probably start with this list:
NBA head-coaching experience is important, and candidates with it should receive credit for it. But I don’t understand why Rambis going 56-145 in Minnesota gets his foot in the door when so many other potentially worthy candidates are shut out by the line the Lakers are setting.
Of those five, Hollins is a quality coach, and Gentry would be fine. The other three are pretty underwhelming.
The Lakers seem to be narrowing their options – but that will at least help the team with the narrowest search of all.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2