Jun 7, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Memphis Grizzlies forward James Johnson was arrested for domestic assault-bodily harm, according to the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office in Tennessee. His bond was set at $1,000 and court date for Monday morning
Investigators say the couple got into some type of altercation as they were leaving Beale Street around 2 am. The 27 year old’s wife called police after she says Johnson hit her in the face with his open hand and choked her.
She also told officers the NBA player punched a hole in their bathroom door, which is where she was waiting while holding their child. Officers say the victim gave the baby to her mother and Johnson then pushed that woman and took the baby before running away from the scene.
The Grizzlies released a statement (via James Herbert of Eye on Basketball):
We are currently gathering information regarding this morning’s report involving James Johnson. We have no further comment at this time.
Johnson, who averaged 7.4 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 blocks in 18.4 minutes per game, will be a free agent this offseason.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 1
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6