Jun 7, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Memphis Grizzlies forward James Johnson was arrested for domestic assault-bodily harm, according to the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office in Tennessee. His bond was set at $1,000 and court date for Monday morning
Investigators say the couple got into some type of altercation as they were leaving Beale Street around 2 am. The 27 year old’s wife called police after she says Johnson hit her in the face with his open hand and choked her.
She also told officers the NBA player punched a hole in their bathroom door, which is where she was waiting while holding their child. Officers say the victim gave the baby to her mother and Johnson then pushed that woman and took the baby before running away from the scene.
The Grizzlies released a statement (via James Herbert of Eye on Basketball):
We are currently gathering information regarding this morning’s report involving James Johnson. We have no further comment at this time.
Johnson, who averaged 7.4 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 blocks in 18.4 minutes per game, will be a free agent this offseason.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 40
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6