Jun 7, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Memphis Grizzlies forward James Johnson was arrested for domestic assault-bodily harm, according to the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office in Tennessee. His bond was set at $1,000 and court date for Monday morning
Investigators say the couple got into some type of altercation as they were leaving Beale Street around 2 am. The 27 year old’s wife called police after she says Johnson hit her in the face with his open hand and choked her.
She also told officers the NBA player punched a hole in their bathroom door, which is where she was waiting while holding their child. Officers say the victim gave the baby to her mother and Johnson then pushed that woman and took the baby before running away from the scene.
The Grizzlies released a statement (via James Herbert of Eye on Basketball):
We are currently gathering information regarding this morning’s report involving James Johnson. We have no further comment at this time.
Johnson, who averaged 7.4 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 blocks in 18.4 minutes per game, will be a free agent this offseason.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27