Jun 7, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
Memphis Grizzlies forward James Johnson was arrested for domestic assault-bodily harm, according to the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office in Tennessee. His bond was set at $1,000 and court date for Monday morning
Investigators say the couple got into some type of altercation as they were leaving Beale Street around 2 am. The 27 year old’s wife called police after she says Johnson hit her in the face with his open hand and choked her.
She also told officers the NBA player punched a hole in their bathroom door, which is where she was waiting while holding their child. Officers say the victim gave the baby to her mother and Johnson then pushed that woman and took the baby before running away from the scene.
The Grizzlies released a statement (via James Herbert of Eye on Basketball):
We are currently gathering information regarding this morning’s report involving James Johnson. We have no further comment at this time.
Johnson, who averaged 7.4 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 blocks in 18.4 minutes per game, will be a free agent this offseason.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28