Jun 7, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Ever since the Timberwolves refused to offer him a five-year contract extension, Love has been frustrated. He felt neither owner Glen Taylor nor then-general manager David Kahn treated him well enough.
There was once hope Flip Saunders could change Love’s perception of the Timberwolves, but if that ship hasn’t already sailed, Saunders seems to be doing his best to further alienate Minnesota’s star player.
Saunders appeared on KFAN 100.3 and spoke about Love.
- Host: “Doesn’t he have a right to be frustrated?”
- Saunders: “No.”
- Host: “You don’t think so?”
- Saunders: “Just like I told Garnett, he didn’t have a right to be frustrated. Why does any player have a right to be frustrated? You’re either part of the problem or part of the solution.”
- Saunders: “Should the team be frustrated? Yeah, the team can be frustrated. But I don’t think any one individual should be frustrated.”
- Saunders: “I tell a story. I tell a story about – we were in the locker room when KG was in like his third year in the league, and Sam Mitchell was sitting in the locker room. KG was in there, and we had lost a couple games, and we were all sitting there talking. KG started going, ‘Hey, you’ve got to start doing more.’ And he’s talking to some of the bench guys. ‘You’ve got to start doing more.’ And Sam said, ‘Hey, hold it, hold it. Let me tell you something. You’re making all the money. Hey, it’s your responsibility. You make the money, you’ve got to live up to that.’ So, that was the mentality, and from that time, KG never ever from that point, he always took responsibility.”
Saunders is failing to separate two distinct issues.
An NBA team is comprised of 13-15 players who each have their own personal desires and agendas. Ideally, they come together in pursuit of a common goal, but that doesn’t completely merge their mindsets. They can each remain their own person.
That’s different from individual players denigrating their teammates in frustration. If Love is throwing his teammates under the bus, I haven’t heard it.
Love is the best player ever to spend his first his first six seasons with the same franchise without making the playoffs. He’s put in his time in Minnesota. He sounds willing to play out the rest of his contract – one more season before he can opt out – with the Timberwolves if they won’t trade him first.
Is Love entitled to be frustrated? Absolutely.
More frustrated than his teammates? Yes. Not a single one of them has spent the last six years in the NBA without reaching the postseason.
Love shouldn’t take his frustration out on them like Garnett did. It’s not their fault they’re not collectively up to snuff.
But he can take it out on the Timberwolves by leaving.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
I’m not optimistic, but at least they appear to be trying
Sep 2, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
Point guard reportedly working out in Philadelphia
Sep 2, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
Watch this and try not to smile
Sep 2, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Heat got a steal
Sep 2, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT
Sep 2, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Welcome to the big stage, Canada.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
For Lawson personally I hope this move and this situation is what he needs to get his life in order.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Lin’s alter ego: Wayne
Sep 1, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
Griffin will give Pistons 19 players, 17 with guaranteed salaries
Sep 1, 2015, 10:07 PM EDT
LeBron indicates 1999-00 Trail Blazers were great, implies something about his own career
Sep 1, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Goran Dragic, Dwyane Wade, Luol Deng, Chris Bosh and Hassan Whiteside look pretty good on paper
Sep 1, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Russians don’t even have Alexey Shved
Sep 1, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Luis Scola leads Argentina to victory over Canada
Sep 1, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
He’s a 6’7″ combo guard with a lot of potential
Sep 1, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Well, that’s one.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
It’s not just baseball and boxing anymore.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Miami is a long shot to land him, but you can bet Pat Riley will have them positioned for a run.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:19 PM EDT
Lots of pump fakes. Lots and lots of pump fakes.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
It’s an old Moses Malone trick.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s healthy, that’s a start.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32