Jun 7, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Ever since the Timberwolves refused to offer him a five-year contract extension, Love has been frustrated. He felt neither owner Glen Taylor nor then-general manager David Kahn treated him well enough.
There was once hope Flip Saunders could change Love’s perception of the Timberwolves, but if that ship hasn’t already sailed, Saunders seems to be doing his best to further alienate Minnesota’s star player.
Saunders appeared on KFAN 100.3 and spoke about Love.
- Host: “Doesn’t he have a right to be frustrated?”
- Saunders: “No.”
- Host: “You don’t think so?”
- Saunders: “Just like I told Garnett, he didn’t have a right to be frustrated. Why does any player have a right to be frustrated? You’re either part of the problem or part of the solution.”
- Saunders: “Should the team be frustrated? Yeah, the team can be frustrated. But I don’t think any one individual should be frustrated.”
- Saunders: “I tell a story. I tell a story about – we were in the locker room when KG was in like his third year in the league, and Sam Mitchell was sitting in the locker room. KG was in there, and we had lost a couple games, and we were all sitting there talking. KG started going, ‘Hey, you’ve got to start doing more.’ And he’s talking to some of the bench guys. ‘You’ve got to start doing more.’ And Sam said, ‘Hey, hold it, hold it. Let me tell you something. You’re making all the money. Hey, it’s your responsibility. You make the money, you’ve got to live up to that.’ So, that was the mentality, and from that time, KG never ever from that point, he always took responsibility.”
Saunders is failing to separate two distinct issues.
An NBA team is comprised of 13-15 players who each have their own personal desires and agendas. Ideally, they come together in pursuit of a common goal, but that doesn’t completely merge their mindsets. They can each remain their own person.
That’s different from individual players denigrating their teammates in frustration. If Love is throwing his teammates under the bus, I haven’t heard it.
Love is the best player ever to spend his first his first six seasons with the same franchise without making the playoffs. He’s put in his time in Minnesota. He sounds willing to play out the rest of his contract – one more season before he can opt out – with the Timberwolves if they won’t trade him first.
Is Love entitled to be frustrated? Absolutely.
More frustrated than his teammates? Yes. Not a single one of them has spent the last six years in the NBA without reaching the postseason.
Love shouldn’t take his frustration out on them like Garnett did. It’s not their fault they’re not collectively up to snuff.
But he can take it out on the Timberwolves by leaving.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:45 AM EDT
Houston outscores Dallas by 14 in 10 minutes with Howard and Harden, get outscored by four otherwise in 118-108 win
Apr 18, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Wade has the ability to hit free agency, but is choosing to stay in Miami for at least one more season.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Rose finished with 23 points.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Leaked images are horrible.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
Brooks scored 10 points in his first shift.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Golden State, once up 25, escapes with 106-99 win
Apr 18, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The basketball was ugly, but this still may be a very competitive series.
Apr 18, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Pierce backed up his talk with plenty of action.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
They’re still expected to play around 32 minutes each.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
Ujiri cusses at a playoff pep rally for the second straight year.
Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks
Apr 18, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Brewer has been a key member of the rotation for the two-seeded Rockets.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Every playoff series is predicted.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
How do you feel about a lot of hack-a-Jordan for six or seven games?
Apr 18, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
With most 2014 conference-finalists eliminated, Warriors are clear favorite
Apr 18, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Their rivalry goes back until the Dwight Howard free agent recruitment. If not earlier.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
The winner in 7 games will be …
Apr 17, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Cuban also says of Houston: “that’s not a very good team over there.”
Apr 17, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Can Brooklyn win a game?
Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year
Apr 17, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Hibbert has a player option for $15.5 million next season.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Three PBT writers pick the Warrior to beat the Cavaliers in the Finals.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3