Jun 7, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Ever since the Timberwolves refused to offer him a five-year contract extension, Love has been frustrated. He felt neither owner Glen Taylor nor then-general manager David Kahn treated him well enough.
There was once hope Flip Saunders could change Love’s perception of the Timberwolves, but if that ship hasn’t already sailed, Saunders seems to be doing his best to further alienate Minnesota’s star player.
Saunders appeared on KFAN 100.3 and spoke about Love.
- Host: “Doesn’t he have a right to be frustrated?”
- Saunders: “No.”
- Host: “You don’t think so?”
- Saunders: “Just like I told Garnett, he didn’t have a right to be frustrated. Why does any player have a right to be frustrated? You’re either part of the problem or part of the solution.”
- Saunders: “Should the team be frustrated? Yeah, the team can be frustrated. But I don’t think any one individual should be frustrated.”
- Saunders: “I tell a story. I tell a story about – we were in the locker room when KG was in like his third year in the league, and Sam Mitchell was sitting in the locker room. KG was in there, and we had lost a couple games, and we were all sitting there talking. KG started going, ‘Hey, you’ve got to start doing more.’ And he’s talking to some of the bench guys. ‘You’ve got to start doing more.’ And Sam said, ‘Hey, hold it, hold it. Let me tell you something. You’re making all the money. Hey, it’s your responsibility. You make the money, you’ve got to live up to that.’ So, that was the mentality, and from that time, KG never ever from that point, he always took responsibility.”
Saunders is failing to separate two distinct issues.
An NBA team is comprised of 13-15 players who each have their own personal desires and agendas. Ideally, they come together in pursuit of a common goal, but that doesn’t completely merge their mindsets. They can each remain their own person.
That’s different from individual players denigrating their teammates in frustration. If Love is throwing his teammates under the bus, I haven’t heard it.
Love is the best player ever to spend his first his first six seasons with the same franchise without making the playoffs. He’s put in his time in Minnesota. He sounds willing to play out the rest of his contract – one more season before he can opt out – with the Timberwolves if they won’t trade him first.
Is Love entitled to be frustrated? Absolutely.
More frustrated than his teammates? Yes. Not a single one of them has spent the last six years in the NBA without reaching the postseason.
Love shouldn’t take his frustration out on them like Garnett did. It’s not their fault they’re not collectively up to snuff.
But he can take it out on the Timberwolves by leaving.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
17 is far too low.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:40 PM EST
Rockets star has taken plenty of verbal abuse lately from opposing players
Nov 20, 2014, 3:07 PM EST
Not pictured: Milwaukee celebrating win over Nets
Nov 20, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
Craftiness from the Lakers star
Nov 20, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
Cavaliers center gives Kawhi Leonard a hard time
Players union, after Jason Kidd’s negotiations, looking into agents representing coaches and players
Nov 20, 2014, 1:21 PM EST
Current National Basketball Players Association rule forbids agents from representing players and coaches
Nov 20, 2014, 12:33 PM EST
Both teams reportedly interested in Timberwolves small forward
Nov 20, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
Philadelphia players make Wroten spokesman for responding to Suns guard
Nov 20, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Clippers coach: ‘He’s probably the best player in the league that nobody knows’
Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label
Nov 20, 2014, 10:16 AM EST
Suns center impressing in second season
Nov 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Lebron says it’s more difficult than even winning a championship
Nov 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Corey Brewer throws pass just low enough to avoid a turnover, high enough to make Muhammad look good
Nov 20, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
And Seraphin gets called for the foul.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
The two had words in the second quarter.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:22 AM EST
Highlights from a lot of exciting finishes Wednesday.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:11 AM EST
Seriously, just look at that thing
Nov 19, 2014, 11:28 PM EST
Kidd gets last laugh in return to Brooklyn
Nov 19, 2014, 10:32 PM EST
Don’t use this to support a false narrative
Nov 19, 2014, 10:13 PM EST
Bucks guard makes great defensive play, follows it with cringeworthy offensive play
Nov 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
Another round of Kobe-Dwight will have to wait
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 4
- PBT’s Wednesday night NBA Winners/Losers: Video of LeBron’s fumble, other tight finishes 13
- LeBron James, with chance to beat Spurs, loses ball to end game (video) 39
- NBA suspends Hornets’ Jeff Taylor for 24 games following guilty plea for domestic violence 7
- PBT Extra: Is Dwight Howard NBA’s newest villain? 31
- Report: Bradley Beal to make season debut Wednesday for Wizards 5
- Kobe Bryant passes 32,000 career points milestone 6
- Dwight Howard’s attorney: Claims Rockets’ star abused his child baseless 11