Jun 7, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Ever since the Timberwolves refused to offer him a five-year contract extension, Love has been frustrated. He felt neither owner Glen Taylor nor then-general manager David Kahn treated him well enough.
There was once hope Flip Saunders could change Love’s perception of the Timberwolves, but if that ship hasn’t already sailed, Saunders seems to be doing his best to further alienate Minnesota’s star player.
Saunders appeared on KFAN 100.3 and spoke about Love.
- Host: “Doesn’t he have a right to be frustrated?”
- Saunders: “No.”
- Host: “You don’t think so?”
- Saunders: “Just like I told Garnett, he didn’t have a right to be frustrated. Why does any player have a right to be frustrated? You’re either part of the problem or part of the solution.”
- Saunders: “Should the team be frustrated? Yeah, the team can be frustrated. But I don’t think any one individual should be frustrated.”
- Saunders: “I tell a story. I tell a story about – we were in the locker room when KG was in like his third year in the league, and Sam Mitchell was sitting in the locker room. KG was in there, and we had lost a couple games, and we were all sitting there talking. KG started going, ‘Hey, you’ve got to start doing more.’ And he’s talking to some of the bench guys. ‘You’ve got to start doing more.’ And Sam said, ‘Hey, hold it, hold it. Let me tell you something. You’re making all the money. Hey, it’s your responsibility. You make the money, you’ve got to live up to that.’ So, that was the mentality, and from that time, KG never ever from that point, he always took responsibility.”
Saunders is failing to separate two distinct issues.
An NBA team is comprised of 13-15 players who each have their own personal desires and agendas. Ideally, they come together in pursuit of a common goal, but that doesn’t completely merge their mindsets. They can each remain their own person.
That’s different from individual players denigrating their teammates in frustration. If Love is throwing his teammates under the bus, I haven’t heard it.
Love is the best player ever to spend his first his first six seasons with the same franchise without making the playoffs. He’s put in his time in Minnesota. He sounds willing to play out the rest of his contract – one more season before he can opt out – with the Timberwolves if they won’t trade him first.
Is Love entitled to be frustrated? Absolutely.
More frustrated than his teammates? Yes. Not a single one of them has spent the last six years in the NBA without reaching the postseason.
Love shouldn’t take his frustration out on them like Garnett did. It’s not their fault they’re not collectively up to snuff.
But he can take it out on the Timberwolves by leaving.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
Lakers introduce Scott as new coach in press conference
Jul 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Rose said he was disappointed but he understands ‘Melo’s decision.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Want to see LeBron strip down to his underwear?
Jul 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Lakers guard confirms he’s planning on retirement
Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Donald Sterling isn’t going away, but he’s pretty much done as the Clippers owner now.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Yes, you read that headline correctly
Jul 29, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
The question with Cousins is never talent, but his maturity seems to be there.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Jason Kidd or Byron Scott could hire former Seattle SuperSonic
Jul 29, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Irving wouldn’t get full 30 percent of adjusted salary cap by triggering Derrick Rose rule
Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Atlanta selected 7-foot-3 center No. 43 in 2014 NBA draft
Jul 29, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Previous report said Griffin fractured back during Clippers’ playoff run, which ended before backflip video was posted
Jul 29, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Thunder forward says he’s improving, but ‘it’s going to take time’
Jul 29, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Former 76ers and Nets general manager now Memphis’ executive vice president of player personnel
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Charles Barkley is a generous man.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:32 AM EDT
It wasn’t pretty getting there, but the union has a leader again.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It’s been a good summer to be Kyrie Irving. Really good.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Clippers big man reportedly suffered injury during playoffs
Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
That wasn’t so painful, was it?
Jul 28, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
Pistons center denies Warriors forward at the rim with relatively late, but incredibly awesome, leap
Jul 28, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT
Tucker also re-signed with Suns for $16.5 million this offseason
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 0
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 14
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 8
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 13
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26