Off Day wrap up from San Antonio: Erik Spoelstra frustrated with Mario Chalmers

Jun 6, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT

Erik Spoelstra, Mario Chalmers Erik Spoelstra, Mario Chalmers

SAN ANTONIO — Emptying out the notebook from an off day near the Alamo….

• Erik Spoelstra is generally positive about players to the press and in public. He’s never really Popovich harsh on guys.

But in his Friday press conference Spoeltra was clearly frustrated with Mario Chalmers, who played just 17 minutes in Game 1 due to foul trouble. “Rio” has had more and more fouls through the playoffs, but due to the heat and humidity in the AT&T Center during Game 1 his foul trouble presented a much bigger problem.

“That hurt last night, 17 minutes,” Spoelstra said, talking about the minutes Chalmers played in Game 1. “We were managing the minutes the best that we could and getting guys in and out, played nine guys and nobody played deep minutes, but those extra 15 or 16 minutes from Rio probably would have helped. And he needs to be more attentive to technique and earlier in his thought process. Things are happening very quickly obviously at this level of competition and your preparation before the play happens is paramount.

“Now, Rio is very important to our success, he understands that, and I believe he will be better with the next game.”

If not, that could be the first line-up change Eric Spoelstra makes.

• Chalmers admitted he has to be smarter on defense.

“Just gotta be careful with my touch fouls,” Chalmers said. “I get a lot of touch fouls and I got to figure out a way to adjust.”

• At one point during Game 1 Chris Bosh kind of grabbed Chalmers by the head to get his attention and, according to Bosh, told Chalmers to get his head in the game and make the simple pass. Chalmers pretty much backed that up.

“I was frustrated with it being the first game, Game 1 of the Finals and being in foul trouble and not be able to help my team,” Chalmers said. “I was getting a little frustrated. He was just trying to keep me in the game.”

At least they weren’t yelling at Chalmers.

Yet.

Dwyane Wade wisely would not take the bait and talk about Gatorade. That is one of Wade’s sponsors (and the league’s) but their official twitter account criticized LeBron James for cramping up (the company later apologized). Wade said he has not spoken to anyone at Gatorade and he is too smart a pitchman to get in the middle of that one.

• Wade summing up what the heat did to the Heat: “I think part of our problem was mental and physical fatigue.”

• How did Manu Ginobili cool down after that game? “I got home, turned the AC to 64 and lay down on my couch there for a few minutes.”

• San Antonio switched up how they defended the Heat in Game 1 compared to last year’s Finals, they were more aggressive taking away space for LeBron and Wade to work, they were going over picks not under. We’ll get more into that as we get closer to Sunday, but we’re not going to break it down as well as Couper Moorhead for Heat.com, if you love the chess game of the Finals go read that.

• Gregg Popovich on “toughness”: “It depends what you mean by ‘toughness.’
Mental toughness is often confused with a blatant, physical sort of aggression, which isn’t really true. I think you have to be careful when you talk about whether this person is tough or that person it tough.”

• Popovich also had the best line of the day, talking about the air conditioning being out for Game 1: “ll I know is that I saw all the air conditioning people in the hallways on my way out last night and I sent them home.”

(He was joking, it’s fixed.)

1. campcouch - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:18 PM

It was like Mario Bros. Chalmers was jumping and plowing into everybody. He should’ve used that Heat logo as a fireball!

See what I did there.

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 7, 2014 at 11:37 PM

2. mrhonorama - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Based on how well D-Wade was getting to the hoop, the Spurs might want to go under those screens set for him.

• spursareold - Jun 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Only early. He started 5-5, but finished 3-13. I’ll bet the ONLY player on the Heat glad that the AC issue happened was Wade, otherwise we’d be talking about the Wade Fade.

3. buffalowned - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:22 PM

He should be frustrated with Chalmers…almost every game he comes out way too aggressive and out of control on offense, and in game 1 we saw it on both sides of the ball. Hopefully he has that random 20-30 game performance at some point this series but I think his days in Miami are numbered.

• drunkenjunk - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:43 PM

yea, no way Miami re-signs him. They’ll let Cole take his place and draft another point in the second round or something. Chalmers will probably ask for 4-5 million a year and he won’t get it in Miami.

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 7, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Cole is out of his league with big minutes as a starter. Gets careless with the ball eventually. May hit a big shot from time to time but thats it.

• program33 - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:51 AM

“I think his days in Miami are numbered.” Exactly the same words I have been using for this guy the last 2 or 3 years. And yet he is still here doing the same things annoying team mates and sometimes fans. My concern is that he could retire at any time and actually be considered for the Hall of Fame. When you check his past to his credit he is one of the few that has won championships on every level. Unbelievable.

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Championships doesn’t equal Hall of Fame.

Do you even follow the NBA?

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 7, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Championships don’t equal Hall of Fame.

Do you even follow the NBA?

• program33 - Aug 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Yes…which is why I got it right. I hate to say I told you so..but you know the rest….

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Whoa my bad for the spam. the other one never took me to the page showing it was posted, and then saw the spelling error, and blam. Double post. NBCNews servers have been slow lately.

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 7, 2014 at 11:45 PM

REALLY? You must be his brother. If he ever leaves the heat he will eventually just a very good backup PG

• program33 - Aug 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Nope not his brother just a basketball fan who could see the writing on the wall. He will have more fun in Cleveland.

• spursareold - Jun 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM

His days in Miami ARE numbered, but ti’s mainly because he’s coming off his rookie deal. To pay their big three, Miami needs to jettison players once they complete their rookie contracts. Coles will be next.

• buffalowned - Jun 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM

He’s not coming off his rookie deal he’s in the final year of a 3 year 12 million dollar deal after his rookie deal. And they will keep Cole. Micky Arison will pay the luxury tax if necessary. It’s a lot easier to do when you’re winning championships.

4. kb2408 - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:48 AM

D. Wade has a pattern of starting off strong and then fizzling out in the 2nd half. Even with LBJ out the last 4 mins Miami still had Wade, Bosh and Ray on the court. So, to assume they lost simply because LeBron wasn’t on the court is a bit of a cop out. They still had 3 HOF players out there, of which one is a former Finals MVP.

• buffalowned - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM

No one’s saying that was the only reason they lost. The Spurs went off in those last few minutes and they probably would have won regardless, but to say it didn’t impact the game would be naive. He is their catalyst offensively and defensively. When you’re up by 2 with 6 minutes left and LeBron on the floor, you like your chances. When you replace him with Rashard Lewis, you don’t. It’s that simple. Not making excuses but he’s not replaceable.

5. kb2408 - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:51 AM

Andddd of course my comment doesn’t show up. Why don’t you guys just call this Miami Heat/We Worship LBJ Pro Basketball Talk.

• antistratfordian - Jun 7, 2014 at 4:16 AM

Chill. My comments never show up either, so it’s not an LBJ worship thing.

• pphins4life12 - Jun 7, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Like how you worship kobe with your blog name??

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 7, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Whats wrong with that?

• billtetley53 - Jun 7, 2014 at 7:53 AM

It’s ok kb, nothing you type is worth reading anyway. Your postings invite constant ridicule, why would you keep doing it? Why are you such a hypocrite? You cry and cry that people rip on your beloved lakers and your hero(youre 41 and have a hero?,uff!) Yet here you are, doing the same thing to Heat fans. Youre pathetic. How many people have to tell you that before you disappear?

• jimeejohnson - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

He’s not as bad a the #1 pea brain: CantonPeaBrain. That chick’s all f-cked up!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches