LeBron says he will be ready to go Sunday, has tuned out criticism on social media

Jun 6, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

SAN ANTONIO — LeBron James was trying to joke about it.

“If I had to say today I would probably be out on Sunday, I probably won’t play…”

Then LeBron laughed and said what everyone already knew.

“No, I’ll be all right. I’ll be in uniform on Sunday. I should be 100% on Sunday.”

After missing almost all of the final seven minutes of the Heat’s Game 1 loss to the Spurs due to severe cramps, LeBron spent Friday night and Saturday hydrating — he got two-and-a-half IV bags of fluid after Game 1 — and taking the other steps to be back on the court for Game 2 Sunday night. The extra day off between games is coming in handy for him here.

“I’m pretty sore right now just from the muscles spasming up and they’re starting to release, but I’m pretty sore in my legs,” LeBron said.

LeBron’s cramping has become a national conversation on a couple of fronts. One is the misguided discussion about toughness, one fueled by the Gatorade tweets, as if cramping was a personal failing. This conversation is taking place mostly on social media and sports talk radio, where guys eating a bag of chips on their couch call out LeBron’s mental makeup.

LeBron shrugged that off.

“What everybody has to say, you guys should know me by now; I don’t care, I really don’t,” LeBron said. “I really don’t care what people say about me, I don’t care about that sports group, the drink group that  I’m not even going to say their name. I’m not going to give them a light in The Finals. This is about the Spurs and the Heat, and it’s not about everybody else, man, I don’t care.”

Dwyane Wade shrugged it off, too.

“LeBron gets criticism all over the place from everybody,” Wade said. “Us as athletes, we all do. It’s the nature of the beast. It has nothing to do with basketball.”

Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich came to LeBron’s defense on this one.

“What may be more amazing to me is the way he’s conducted himself over the years with all the scrutiny,” Popovich said. “None of us really understand what that is. He’s done it pretty damn well.”

The other thrust of discussion on LeBron’s cramping is was a why this is a pattern with him on a big stage — remember he cramped up in Game 4 of the 2014 NBA Finals against the Thunder.

Both LeBron and Heat coach Eric Spoestra played down the pattern idea, saying Thursday night was not a normal situation.

“It was some extreme conditions, I have never played in an NBA game in those conditions.” LeBron said.

“Let’s separate the past to last night,” Spoelstra said. “Last night was such an extreme situation and you have to be able to differentiate the two. Now, Game 4 in Oklahoma City that everybody knows about, since then we think that our staff and LeBron’s diligence has really taken care of that matter, just in terms of his preparation before games, what he’s doing during games in terms of always filling himself up with electrolytes, fluids, cramping pills when necessary. All of those things, we have been much more on top of it since Game 4 of Oklahoma City. We have had minimal issues with it, and he’s been able to handle it much better than before. Last night was so extreme….

“You know, the biggest issue that I think is lost out there is how competitive LeBron James is when you get to this level. Most athletes pace themselves, it’s not a coincidence and a secret and why we have had the success we have had with the best player in the world, when he pushes his body past the point of regular limits for a competitive advantage. I think it’s an extremely admirable trait….

“Most athletes pace themselves, that’s not in his DNA.”

LeBron and the Heat took it easy on Friday, Spoelstra saying that day was scheduled to be a film session with no physical work in practice anyway. Spoelstra added he would play Saturday by ear on how much work the players would go through.

Whatever the next day and a half hold, come Sunday night LeBron will be ready to go.

“Obviously I’m going to take it light today,” James said, “Training staff said I should take it light today. Give the body another day to recover, tomorrow I should be back on my feet full go, and I got all day Sunday to get ready for Sunday night.

“Don’t worry, you guys can talk about me as much as you want. I’ll be there on Sunday as well. I’m not hiding.”

Latest Posts
  1. NBA tips-off season-long All-Star charitable outreach program in New York area

Sep 23, 2014, 2:25 AM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

Monday tipped-off a series of NBA Cares and charitable events around the New York area tied to the All-Star Game.

2. Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach

Sep 23, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Wyc Grousbeck also says he wants Boston to keep point guard long term

3. Hornets, in search of big man, sign Dallas Lauderdale and Brian Qvale

Sep 22, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

Texas-San Antonio v Ohio State Getty Images

Charlotte also adds Justin Cobbs, who went undrafted out of Cal

4. Lakers sign Wayne Ellington, who played best for Byron Scott

Sep 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Lakers Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Lakers

Ellington, who played for Scott with Cavaliers, received partially guaranteed contract

5. Blake Griffin understands that Los Angeles is still a Lakers’ town

Sep 22, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant, Blake Griffin AP

It’s not going to change anytime soon, either.

6. Report: Jazz to work out John Stockton’s son

Sep 22, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT

WCC Basketball Tournament - Championship - Brigham Young v Gonzaga Getty Images

David Stockton, an undrafted free agent out of Gonzaga, also worked out for Thunder

7. Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets

Sep 22, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

The Rockets’ defensive system is not the problem with James Harden.

8. Jazz sign Dahntay Jones

Sep 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Jones previously played for the Grizzlies, Kings, Nuggets, Pacers, Mavericks and Hawks

9. Report: Darko Milicic leaving basketball, taking up kickboxing

Sep 22, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwovles 2010 NBA Europe LIve Minnesota Timberwovles 2010 NBA Europe LIve

Former Pistons No. 2 draft pick putting some distance between himself and basketball

10. Caldwell Jones dies at 64

Sep 22, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

Portland Trailblazers vs. San Antonio Spurs Portland Trailblazers vs. San Antonio Spurs

Jones – who played for the 76ers, Rockets, Bulls (during Michael Jordan’s rookie season), Trail Blazers and Spurs – helped shape Tim Duncan’s career

11. Tyson Chandler: ‘I’m going to make’ Mavericks defend

Sep 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Ricky Rubio Tyson Chandler, Ricky Rubio

Chandler: ‘We are going to be a great defensive team’

12. NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that.

Sep 22, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

There were multiple NBA players arrested on domestic abuse charges last year. The spotlight on those cases will be different now.

13. Nuggets sign forward Marcus Williams

Sep 22, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT

Arizona Wildcats v North Carolina Tar Heels Getty Images

This is the Marcus Williams who played at Arizona, not Connecticut

14. Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt

Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT

A Cleveland Cavaliers fan interrupts play during their NBA basketball game against Miami Heat in Cleveland Reuters

James Blair can watch LeBron in person in Cleveland again

15. Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape

Sep 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Blake Griffin GQ

“The first thing I ever Googled about the man, the first thing that popped up was “racist.” So I was aware. I hate to say this, and it might sound ignorant, but I wasn’t surprised that all this came up.”—Blake Griffin on Donald Sterling

16. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls

Sep 22, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Washington Wizards - NBA Global Games Rio 2013 Getty Images

A healthy D Rose could have the Bulls contending for a title.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches