LeBron says he will be ready to go Sunday, has tuned out criticism on social media

Jun 6, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

SAN ANTONIO — LeBron James was trying to joke about it.

“If I had to say today I would probably be out on Sunday, I probably won’t play…”

Then LeBron laughed and said what everyone already knew.

“No, I’ll be all right. I’ll be in uniform on Sunday. I should be 100% on Sunday.”

After missing almost all of the final seven minutes of the Heat’s Game 1 loss to the Spurs due to severe cramps, LeBron spent Friday night and Saturday hydrating — he got two-and-a-half IV bags of fluid after Game 1 — and taking the other steps to be back on the court for Game 2 Sunday night. The extra day off between games is coming in handy for him here.

“I’m pretty sore right now just from the muscles spasming up and they’re starting to release, but I’m pretty sore in my legs,” LeBron said.

LeBron’s cramping has become a national conversation on a couple of fronts. One is the misguided discussion about toughness, one fueled by the Gatorade tweets, as if cramping was a personal failing. This conversation is taking place mostly on social media and sports talk radio, where guys eating a bag of chips on their couch call out LeBron’s mental makeup.

LeBron shrugged that off.

“What everybody has to say, you guys should know me by now; I don’t care, I really don’t,” LeBron said. “I really don’t care what people say about me, I don’t care about that sports group, the drink group that  I’m not even going to say their name. I’m not going to give them a light in The Finals. This is about the Spurs and the Heat, and it’s not about everybody else, man, I don’t care.”

Dwyane Wade shrugged it off, too.

“LeBron gets criticism all over the place from everybody,” Wade said. “Us as athletes, we all do. It’s the nature of the beast. It has nothing to do with basketball.”

Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich came to LeBron’s defense on this one.

“What may be more amazing to me is the way he’s conducted himself over the years with all the scrutiny,” Popovich said. “None of us really understand what that is. He’s done it pretty damn well.”

The other thrust of discussion on LeBron’s cramping is was a why this is a pattern with him on a big stage — remember he cramped up in Game 4 of the 2014 NBA Finals against the Thunder.

Both LeBron and Heat coach Eric Spoestra played down the pattern idea, saying Thursday night was not a normal situation.

“It was some extreme conditions, I have never played in an NBA game in those conditions.” LeBron said.

“Let’s separate the past to last night,” Spoelstra said. “Last night was such an extreme situation and you have to be able to differentiate the two. Now, Game 4 in Oklahoma City that everybody knows about, since then we think that our staff and LeBron’s diligence has really taken care of that matter, just in terms of his preparation before games, what he’s doing during games in terms of always filling himself up with electrolytes, fluids, cramping pills when necessary. All of those things, we have been much more on top of it since Game 4 of Oklahoma City. We have had minimal issues with it, and he’s been able to handle it much better than before. Last night was so extreme….

“You know, the biggest issue that I think is lost out there is how competitive LeBron James is when you get to this level. Most athletes pace themselves, it’s not a coincidence and a secret and why we have had the success we have had with the best player in the world, when he pushes his body past the point of regular limits for a competitive advantage. I think it’s an extremely admirable trait….

“Most athletes pace themselves, that’s not in his DNA.”

LeBron and the Heat took it easy on Friday, Spoelstra saying that day was scheduled to be a film session with no physical work in practice anyway. Spoelstra added he would play Saturday by ear on how much work the players would go through.

Whatever the next day and a half hold, come Sunday night LeBron will be ready to go.

“Obviously I’m going to take it light today,” James said, “Training staff said I should take it light today. Give the body another day to recover, tomorrow I should be back on my feet full go, and I got all day Sunday to get ready for Sunday night.

“Don’t worry, you guys can talk about me as much as you want. I’ll be there on Sunday as well. I’m not hiding.”

Latest Posts
  1. Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now”

Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

“I’m feeling good right now. Just trying to get in better shape, get in better condition, so that when I do need to score the ball, then it’ll be there.” —Derrick Rose

2. Kings waive Wayne Ellington

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Ellington, acquired in trade from Knicks, likely stretched

3. Pacers to sign Chris Singleton

Sep 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

chris-singleton Getty Images

Former Wizard provides depth at small forward following Paul George’s injury

4. Mason Plumlee wants you to know Duke, Nike had nothing to do with him making Team USA

Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Finland v USA Getty Images

“If you were at our practices and our training camp, anybody that was there, they would see why I made the team.” —Mason Plumlee

5. Elephant dunks a basketball?

Sep 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Elephant dunks a basketball.

6. Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold

Sep 1, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Boston Celtics Getty Images

This makes more sense, but he could get moved near the deadline.

7. Report: Clippers close to deal with Chris Douglas-Roberts

Sep 1, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal

This would be a solid pickup for the bench, especially at the league minimum.

8. Heat demote two assistants to hire Juwan Howard

Sep 1, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Ron Rothstein and Bob McAdoo lose bench spots, could stay with Miami

9. Kevin Durant confirms he is staying with Nike

Sep 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

12-390_Nike_KDV_Upper_Detail-02_original

This is a win for Jay-Z’s Roc Nation.

10. James Harden with more bad defense in USA’s win over Turkey (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Team USA Practice Session Getty Images

Harden’s reputation on the defensive end of the floor continues to grow.

11. Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade

Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Whether he asked out or not doesn’t really change his situation much.

12. Report: Hedo Turkoglu nearing free agent deal to return to Clippers

Aug 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Turkoglu didn’t do much in L.A. last year, but Chris Paul recently touted the importance of consistency in the Clippers’ chances for success next season.

13. James Harden’s four-point play vs. Turkey (VIDEO)

Aug 31, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT

James Harden James Harden

James Harden makes the PUJIT work for him.

14. Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup

Aug 31, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

The energy of Kenneth Faried helped Team USA pull away in the second half.

15. Report: Kings finalizing deal to trade Jason Terry to Rockets

Aug 31, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Newly acquired Brooklyn Net's NBA player Jason Terry smiles as he is introduced to the media during a news conference in Brooklyn Reuters

Terry was never going to be a fit in Sacramento, but could be a nice veteran addition for a Rockets team that plans on contending next season.

16. Report: Grizzlies waive Jamaal Franklin

Aug 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Jamaal Franklin Jamaal Franklin

Franklin only played one NBA season, but this will open up a roster spot in Memphis.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches