Gatorade apologizes to LeBron James, who doesn’t sound ready to accept

Jun 6, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Charlotte Bobcats v Miami Heat Charlotte Bobcats v Miami Heat

When LeBron James – a Powerade endorser – left Game 1 of the NBA Finals due to cramps, Gatorade trolled hard.

Today, the sports drink deleted its tweets and apologized.

The company’s statement, via the Associated Press:

“Our apologies for our response to fans’ tweets during (Thursday) night’s Heat vs. Spurs game,” Gatorade said in a release. “We got caught up in the heat of the battle. As a longtime partner of the Miami Heat, we support the entire team.”

Caught up in the heat of the battle? I hope that pun was intended. I also imagine a giant bottle of orange Gatorade talking to a bewildered LeBron.

LeBron didn’t seem in the mood to accept the apology at his media availability Friday.

“I really don’t care what people say about me, I don’t care about that sports group, the drink group that  I’m not even going to say their name,” LeBron said when asked about the Gatorade tweets. “I’m not going to give them a light  in The Finals.  This is about the Spurs and the Heat, and it’s not about everybody else, man, I don’t care.”

I don’t really care about the brand-management aspect of Gatorade also doing business with the Heat and NBA, two organizations of which LeBron is a member. That’s their decision whether selling out LeBron is good for the bottom line.

But I do appreciate this. Darren Rovell of ESPN:

the truth is James actually drinks Gatorade on the bench. He takes the label off and uses blank white towels that don’t have the Gatorade logo on them so as not to overtly endorse his competitor.

Oops.

1. campcouch - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Gatorade backtracked because LeBron’s deal with PowerAde is nearing its end. They probably thought ruh-roh,we could’ve had James endorsing our product,but now…and more people have become aware of what his sports drink of “choice” is. Label vs label battles are great,but when you single out the endorser,then it becomes tricky,especially when a grudge holding dude like James is one. He may drop 70 on the Spurs and then eat the fine by taking a huge swig of PowerAde lol.

• gra42 - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:41 AM

Absolute best quote so far!

2. jolink653 - Jun 7, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Jesus Christ, these companies are so PC these days. Have some balls and stand behind the tongue-in-cheek comments you make on Twitter. I really don’t understand the big deal

• pphins4life12 - Jun 7, 2014 at 6:30 AM

It’s hard to when society consist of a bunch of sensitive whiners.

3. lisalynneg - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:57 AM

Gatorade…..Powerade……they both give people cramps. Drink water.
    Gaaaaaatorade.

4. El Pollo Loco - Jun 7, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Funny how all you fat out of shape no athletic skilled losers love to take shots at Lebron.

• christian6300 - Jun 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM

As if being a “fat out of shape no athletic skilled loser” (wonderful grammar there by the way) disqualifies anyone from calling Lebron a little baby. No matter how much the guy gets paid, he is still human. Humans are subject to cramping- it doesn’t have anything to do with the drink you have.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Wish that fat little girl Richie The CantonPeaBrain was honest and not a stupid punk loser like you. That wish will never come true.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Richie The CantonPeaBrain: he’s talking about you, you fat chick!

5. jacobk621 - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM

When I’m cramping in the NBA Finals I usually prefer Dos Equis ,, Stay thirsty my friends !!!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches