Jun 5, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Now is the time of the free agency calendar where the players tell you all the things that really matter to them — it’s always a chance to win rings first.
Talk to me again she the money is on the table.
The Dallas Mavericks want to bring Shawn Marion back and likely will offer more money than anyone else. And he likes it there. So you’d think that’s a match…. but now is the time of year when we talk about winning rings first and foremost. That’s what former Sun Marion told ArizonaSports.com.
“I want to play a couple more years,” he said, adding that his preference is to re-sign with Dallas, but he’s open to other locales. “My ultimate goal is to win another championship, so it’s wherever I feel is the best chance to win another championship.”
As for the reports he wants to retire a Maverick….
“That’s not what I said, I didn’t say that,” Marion stated. “I said that I didn’t know where I was going to retire (in the league), because I can’t dictate what’s going to happen this summer, I can’t control anything.
“If it happens, it happens, but what I said was I was going to retire (after the playing days are over) in the Dallas community.”
In the end, Marion will likely sign where he is offered the most money. I don’t mean that as disrespect to Marion, but it’s a business and he isn’t doing this for free. If a couple teams are close in money offered then winning (and weather and the rest of it) will come into play. The NBA is a business and everybody treats it like such.
Just remember throughout free agency when somebody says it’s not about the money, it is always about the money.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 44
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11