Jun 5, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Now is the time of the free agency calendar where the players tell you all the things that really matter to them — it’s always a chance to win rings first.
Talk to me again she the money is on the table.
The Dallas Mavericks want to bring Shawn Marion back and likely will offer more money than anyone else. And he likes it there. So you’d think that’s a match…. but now is the time of year when we talk about winning rings first and foremost. That’s what former Sun Marion told ArizonaSports.com.
“I want to play a couple more years,” he said, adding that his preference is to re-sign with Dallas, but he’s open to other locales. “My ultimate goal is to win another championship, so it’s wherever I feel is the best chance to win another championship.”
As for the reports he wants to retire a Maverick….
“That’s not what I said, I didn’t say that,” Marion stated. “I said that I didn’t know where I was going to retire (in the league), because I can’t dictate what’s going to happen this summer, I can’t control anything.
“If it happens, it happens, but what I said was I was going to retire (after the playing days are over) in the Dallas community.”
In the end, Marion will likely sign where he is offered the most money. I don’t mean that as disrespect to Marion, but it’s a business and he isn’t doing this for free. If a couple teams are close in money offered then winning (and weather and the rest of it) will come into play. The NBA is a business and everybody treats it like such.
Just remember throughout free agency when somebody says it’s not about the money, it is always about the money.
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 2
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8