Jun 5, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
You would be hard pressed to find a coach more respected as an offensive innovator than David Blatt.
He’s not a name known to the common fan, but the American-born coach just led Maccabi Tel Aviv to the EuroLeague title, plus he is the Russian national team coach (bronze medal winners at the London Olympics). He is a guy other coaches study, particularly his offense and transition. There have been a number of teams looking to bring him over, he has been looking for the right spot.
He may have found it — Golden State. Steve Kerr is talking to Blatt, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Blatt is engaged in talks to join Kerr’s staff as the top assistant coach, a move that Blatt had been reluctant to make in past years. Blatt has always been intrigued with coaching in the NBA, but had hoped he could make the transition from Europe into a head coaching job. Blatt has turned down NBA assistant jobs in the past.
The chance to transform Golden State’s deeply talented offensive roster could become a springboard into a head-coaching job elsewhere, and that holds appeal to Blatt, sources told Yahoo Sports. The Warriors have tremendous offensive weapons, including All-Star guard Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, and Kerr is trying to put together a staff to maximize those talents.
This would be a great hire for Kerr. With all that firepower the Warriors had the 12th ranked offense in the NBA last season in points per possession, an innovative coach who could raise that ranking would be one step to the Warriors becoming legitimate contenders.
Minnesota is also said to be interested in Blatt, having him as a lead assistant and maybe a “coach in waiting” next to Flip Saunders.
But if you were Blatt, would you rather coach the Timberwolves without Kevin Love (if not this season next) or the Golden State Warriors and Curry? Exactly.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2