Jun 5, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Flip Saunders hired Flip Saunders as the next coach of the Timberwolves. So, of course Kevin Love wants to stay in Minnesota now, Right?
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Of course he does.
Love knew all along the Timberwolves would hire a new – likely fine, but unspectacular – coach this offseason. That it’s Saunders rather than Dave Joerger or Lionel Hollins or Sam Mitchell doesn’t matter much. Minnesota, right now, isn’t anymore appealing than the moment prior to Saunders’ decision.
The Timberwolves probably aren’t convincing Love to stay, but if they want to dare him to leave, they can.
That starts with having a strong season – making the playoffs at minimum and probably more. Then next summer, they must offer Love a max contract – worth more than any other team can pay him.
Maybe, just maybe, Love won’t be able to pull the trigger on taking less money to leave a winning team.
But that scenario – if Minnesota is even trying to create it – would be a long way off.
First, obviously, the Timberwolves must make themselves into a winning team. Can Saunders deliver that? We’ll have to wait and see, and Minnesota can make Love do the same.
But if the Timberwolves are using Saunders to make Love have a change of heart, they’re fighting an uphill battle. Maybe more like an up-mountain war.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48