Jun 5, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He works for Gregg Popovich and is close with Dennis Lindsey. But a boss regarded as the NBA’s best coach and ties to the Jazz general manager won’t make Boylen Utah’s next coach.
Boylen, a friend of Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey, is no longer in the running to replace Tyrone Corbin as Utah’s bench boss, according to multiple sources.
Maybe Boylen was a legitimate candidate who fell behind the top pack. Maybe Lindsey floated Boylen’s name to boost the profile of a friend.
Either way, it appears the Jazz are focused on Alvin Gentry, Adrian Griffin, Quin Snyder and at least one other candidate.
Another mystery candidate is also being interviewed by the Jazz, according to sources. His identity is being guarded tightly by Utah management.
Speculating, the mystery candidate is probably already an established head coach, which would explain the need for secrecy and narrow the pool to… dozens of people across the NBA and NCAA.
It also could be John Stockton, who’s always preferred to remain out of the spotlight. But considering his name has already been mentioned publicly as a candidate, how much incentive does he have to keep his interest under wraps? If he’s that private, he might not be a great fit for such a public position.
Or it could be… nearly anyone. Just not Jim Boylen.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28