Jun 5, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He works for Gregg Popovich and is close with Dennis Lindsey. But a boss regarded as the NBA’s best coach and ties to the Jazz general manager won’t make Boylen Utah’s next coach.
Boylen, a friend of Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey, is no longer in the running to replace Tyrone Corbin as Utah’s bench boss, according to multiple sources.
Maybe Boylen was a legitimate candidate who fell behind the top pack. Maybe Lindsey floated Boylen’s name to boost the profile of a friend.
Either way, it appears the Jazz are focused on Alvin Gentry, Adrian Griffin, Quin Snyder and at least one other candidate.
Another mystery candidate is also being interviewed by the Jazz, according to sources. His identity is being guarded tightly by Utah management.
Speculating, the mystery candidate is probably already an established head coach, which would explain the need for secrecy and narrow the pool to… dozens of people across the NBA and NCAA.
It also could be John Stockton, who’s always preferred to remain out of the spotlight. But considering his name has already been mentioned publicly as a candidate, how much incentive does he have to keep his interest under wraps? If he’s that private, he might not be a great fit for such a public position.
Or it could be… nearly anyone. Just not Jim Boylen.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25