Jun 5, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He works for Gregg Popovich and is close with Dennis Lindsey. But a boss regarded as the NBA’s best coach and ties to the Jazz general manager won’t make Boylen Utah’s next coach.
Boylen, a friend of Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey, is no longer in the running to replace Tyrone Corbin as Utah’s bench boss, according to multiple sources.
Maybe Boylen was a legitimate candidate who fell behind the top pack. Maybe Lindsey floated Boylen’s name to boost the profile of a friend.
Either way, it appears the Jazz are focused on Alvin Gentry, Adrian Griffin, Quin Snyder and at least one other candidate.
Another mystery candidate is also being interviewed by the Jazz, according to sources. His identity is being guarded tightly by Utah management.
Speculating, the mystery candidate is probably already an established head coach, which would explain the need for secrecy and narrow the pool to… dozens of people across the NBA and NCAA.
It also could be John Stockton, who’s always preferred to remain out of the spotlight. But considering his name has already been mentioned publicly as a candidate, how much incentive does he have to keep his interest under wraps? If he’s that private, he might not be a great fit for such a public position.
Or it could be… nearly anyone. Just not Jim Boylen.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 5
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43