Jun 5, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He works for Gregg Popovich and is close with Dennis Lindsey. But a boss regarded as the NBA’s best coach and ties to the Jazz general manager won’t make Boylen Utah’s next coach.
Boylen, a friend of Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey, is no longer in the running to replace Tyrone Corbin as Utah’s bench boss, according to multiple sources.
Maybe Boylen was a legitimate candidate who fell behind the top pack. Maybe Lindsey floated Boylen’s name to boost the profile of a friend.
Either way, it appears the Jazz are focused on Alvin Gentry, Adrian Griffin, Quin Snyder and at least one other candidate.
Another mystery candidate is also being interviewed by the Jazz, according to sources. His identity is being guarded tightly by Utah management.
Speculating, the mystery candidate is probably already an established head coach, which would explain the need for secrecy and narrow the pool to… dozens of people across the NBA and NCAA.
It also could be John Stockton, who’s always preferred to remain out of the spotlight. But considering his name has already been mentioned publicly as a candidate, how much incentive does he have to keep his interest under wraps? If he’s that private, he might not be a great fit for such a public position.
Or it could be… nearly anyone. Just not Jim Boylen.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48