Jun 5, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
LeBron James is the most popular player in the NBA.
That’s what ESPN’s research says. But adoration for LeBron – the percentage of fans who consider him their favorite player – has ebbed and flowed differently by demographics.
LeBron’s popularity took a big dip among both black and white fans when he left Cleveland. But in his second year with the Heat, LeBron re-gained some popularity among black fans while continuing to lose ground among white fans.
By 2012-13, he had already surpassed his final Cleveland popularity mark among black fans. Though white fan support increased from 2011-12 to 2012-13, LeBron still lagged well behind where he left off with the Cavaliers.
Here are the percentage of fans who named LeBron their favorite player by season. Seasons are marked by the year they finished (e.g., 2010 represents the 2009-10 season).
A similar phenomenon exists between avid and casual fans.
A smaller percentage of casual fans considered LeBron their favorite player in 2012-13 than did in 2009-10, but – after taking a two-year dip among both groups – a slightly higher percentage of avid fans called LeBron their favorite in 2012-13 than did in 2009-10.
The racial and NBA-interest splits might not be completely independent. It’s possible blacks are disproportionately represented among avid fans and/or vice versa, just as it’s possible whites are disproportionately represented among casual fans and/or vice versa.
But whatever is driving the swings in support for LeBron is real. These are pronounced differences in his popularity by demographic.
In 2010, LeBron said he believed race was a factor in backlash to The Decision. The evidence indicates he was right.
LeBron: ‘My legacy will speak for itself’
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10