Bill Russell says, for about 30 years, he didn’t realize his Celtics won eight straight championships
Jun 5, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Bill Russell famously won 11 championships – eight of them coming in an eight-year span of Boston dominance.
Not only are the Celtics’ eight consecutive titles an NBA record, they’re a modern record across the four major North American sports.
- NBA championships: 8 – Boston Celtics (1959-66)
- World Series: 5 – New York Yankees (1949-53)
- Stanley Cups: 5 – Montreal Canadiens (1956-60)
- Super Bowls: 2 – New England Patriots (2004-05), Denver Broncos (1998-99), Dallas Cowboys (1993-94), San Francisco 49ers (1989-90), Pittsburgh Steelers (1979-80), Pittsburgh Steelers (1975-76), Miami Dolphins (1973-74), Green Bay Packers (1967-68)
You’d think Russell would know what he accomplished.
But maybe not.
Russell, via NBA.com:
“It might seem strange but I did not know our Celtic teams won eight championships in a row until about 20 years ago when I read about it in a game program. Our focus was always on that particular season, always one year at a time. The year we played had nothing to do with the previous year or the next year. That’s just the way it was.”
Sometimes, former players exaggerate their accomplishments. I don’t enjoy the practice of, implicitly or explicitly, shaming current players for living up to a standard nobody has ever met.
Maybe Russell was more focused than anyone today – you know the Heat know they’re trying to three-peat. But more likely, this story is embellished.
Russell is an all-time great player who should be held in the highest regard in league history. I don’t want to accuse him of lying or intentionally misleading or anything of the sort. So, I’ll end the post here.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8