Win or lose, Tim Duncan isn’t tipping hand about retirement plans

Jun 4, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game Six Getty Images

There’s a school of thought, prominently led by Charles Barkley, that if Tim Duncan wins a title with the Spurs this year he will call it quits right then and there. He will ride off into the sunset a champion. (If you subscribe to a school of thought led by Charles Barkley, you should probably rethink a few things in your life.)

There are others around the league that think he is done either way. He’s grown weary of the grind, it’s time to move on. Call it the “I’m too old for this s***” theory.

The more logical answer is that he, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are all under contract for one more year and the Spurs have been to back-to-back NBA Finals, they will give it one more shot together.

Whatever  Duncan is thinking, he didn’t show a tell the day before the 2014 NBA Finals tip-off in San Antonio. Here is what Duncan said about retirement when asked on Wednesday.

“It will happen when it happens. I’ll feel it and I’ll know it and I’ll call it a day.”

Duncan may honestly have no idea what he wants to do, he may wait a couple of weeks after the season and then decide.

If he retires, he will announce it in a press release and have to be dragged to a press conference to meet the media one more time. He’d do it without fanfare, without a farewell tour. He’d just fade away if he had his choice.

It will not be that quiet. Whatever happens in these Finals Duncan’s legacy as (arguably) the greatest power forward in the history of the game is secure. There isn’t going to be another Tim Duncan.

But for our sake I hope we get to enjoy watching him play the game  in a way few may ever again.

Duncan: LeBron is physically a ‘monster’

1. RavenzGunnerz - Jun 4, 2014 at 9:46 PM

What do you expect?

This is not time to be tipping your hands.

2. denverhoopdreams - Jun 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM

He ends his career with 6. Bold prediction of the day.

• cwilson6843 - Jun 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Denver? You a broncos fan? Don’t talk. JUST WIN BABY!

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I don’t care about football.

3. eugenesaxe1 - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:06 PM

There’s nothing wrong with his game, Pop manages his minutes, and the team is as good as ever. Unless it literally hurts him to play, there’s no reason to not at least finish out his contract. He’s walking out on top of his game then, whether or not he gets another title.

4. vikesdynasty - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:11 PM

6? So two more? Or you thinking he has 5 now. Even though he has 4….

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM

I was saying 2 more. One more year on the contract. Why would I think he has 5 now?

• sportsfan18 - Jun 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM

rings buddy, rings…

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Sir, I understand that.

I was saying that my bold prediction is that Duncan will have his sixth ring after next season and then retire. It’s a bold prediction, i.e. a prediction that is really far fetched and out there.

He currently has four. Yes. I know, I’m not some casual fan.

Hope I was able to clarify for you fellas, even after I already thought I did.

5. loubearkane - Jun 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Tim Duncan 2nd greatest Power Forward of All Time. I say 2nd because I think Hakeem “The Dream” Olajuwon was a Power Forward playing Center and he was the greatest.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches