Jun 4, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
It’s the off-season, Ty Lawson can let his ankle rest. There is no game tomorrow, or the day after that, for him. Remember Lawson missed the final 10 games of the regular season with a severely sprained left ankle.
By now he thought he would be in full speed training for next season, looking to help the Nuggets bounce back from a disappointing and injury-filled 2013-14 season.
Not yet — Lawson still can’t run on his ankle and so his off-season training remains on hold, he told the Denver Post.
“I still can’t run,” Lawson said by phone from Valencia, Spain, for NBA 3X, a 3-on-3 tournament sponsored by the league. “They said it’s no surgery, just another three or four weeks just staying off of it, not really doing too much and it should be fine….
“I didn’t think it was that bad, either, until seven weeks after it happened and I still couldn’t run,” Lawson said. “So I was like, ‘I need to get this checked out.'”
The doctors didn’t find any structural issues, which is the good news for Lawson, who averaged 17.6 points and 8.8 assists per game last season, both career highs. The problem was he played in just 62 games due to injury.
The Nuggets were without Danilo Gallinari all season and JaVale McGee for nearly all, combine that with the Lawson injuries and the Nuggets never really had a chance. Not in an unforgiving and deep Western Conference.
However, if all those guys are back next season and the Nuggets are out and running for Brian Shaw, this could be another 50+ win team in the West.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4