Jun 4, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
The Spurs should have won the 2013 championship.
It’s an assertion I’ve heard repeatedly in the last year.
It’s just not true.
The Spurs COULD have won the 2013 championship – and there is a difference.
Up five with 24 seconds left in Game 6, San Antonio saw it’s lead slip. Yes, the Spurs made mistakes. Manu Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard missed key free throws, and San Antonio still could have won in regulation.
The Heat could have won – and they did. Both teams could have won. That’s how it works in close series. To say the Spurs should have won is not fair to Miami.
And LeBron knows it.
LeBron James said Wednesday before Heat practice in advance of Game 1 of the NBA Finals that the Heat feel “slighted” at the suggestion that the Spurs gave away last year’s Finals after Miami’s comeback in Game 6.
“Absolutely (we feel slighted). I can’t sit here and lie to you, we do. We feel slighted in the fact that it went seven. It went seven. It wasn’t like it was 3-0 and you know, they had us in Game 4 and we took it and won four straight.
It is a little strange to hear the Finals MVP talk about how the title-winning team got slighted, even if he’s correct. But I don’t think LeBron is as concerned about being right as he’s trying to motivate himself for these Finals.
In that regard, the Spurs have a much easier job. Feel slighted? Of course they do. They lost! Losing is a slight.
LeBron is reaching a little bit, but that’s the only way he’ll find outside motivation to use to his advantage.
PBT Extra: Spurs have an edge over Heat in Finals
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20