Jun 4, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
The Spurs should have won the 2013 championship.
It’s an assertion I’ve heard repeatedly in the last year.
It’s just not true.
The Spurs COULD have won the 2013 championship – and there is a difference.
Up five with 24 seconds left in Game 6, San Antonio saw it’s lead slip. Yes, the Spurs made mistakes. Manu Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard missed key free throws, and San Antonio still could have won in regulation.
The Heat could have won – and they did. Both teams could have won. That’s how it works in close series. To say the Spurs should have won is not fair to Miami.
And LeBron knows it.
LeBron James said Wednesday before Heat practice in advance of Game 1 of the NBA Finals that the Heat feel “slighted” at the suggestion that the Spurs gave away last year’s Finals after Miami’s comeback in Game 6.
“Absolutely (we feel slighted). I can’t sit here and lie to you, we do. We feel slighted in the fact that it went seven. It went seven. It wasn’t like it was 3-0 and you know, they had us in Game 4 and we took it and won four straight.
It is a little strange to hear the Finals MVP talk about how the title-winning team got slighted, even if he’s correct. But I don’t think LeBron is as concerned about being right as he’s trying to motivate himself for these Finals.
In that regard, the Spurs have a much easier job. Feel slighted? Of course they do. They lost! Losing is a slight.
LeBron is reaching a little bit, but that’s the only way he’ll find outside motivation to use to his advantage.
PBT Extra: Spurs have an edge over Heat in Finals
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 12
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28