Larry Brown implies he’s not interested in coaching the Lakers

Jun 4, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Larry Brown Larry Brown

The Lakers have reportedly discussed reaching out to Larry Brown about becoming their next coach.

It hasn’t happened (yet?), according to Brown.

Sure, he and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak have talked. But, as Brown tells it, they’re just a couple former Dean Smith players keeping in touch and building on their University of North Carolina roots.

Sam Amick of USA Today:

Larry Brown has been talking to Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, alright, but not as some sort of recruitment for the vacant coaching job.

“I’ve always kept in touch with Mitch; I admire the hell out of him,” the 73-year-old Brown told USA TODAY Sports by phone on Tuesday. “I talk to Mitch all the time. … (But) we’re not talking about coaching the Lakers. I’ve read some of the names. They’ve got a long list of good people to choose from, and I’m here at SMU. I want to win a national championship.”

“I’m just so thankful SMU gave me this chance,” Brown said. “We have made such progress. We’ve got a bunch of young kids already committed for the future and I’d love to finish it out here. … I’d love to see (the Lakers) get a great coach, because I love Mitch and I love that franchise. But I’m thrilled where I am. I feel so fortunate I’ve had this chance.”

“Not everybody would give an old man like me a chance to coach, so I’ve been pretty fortunate to have that opportunity here,” Brown said. “We’re moving forward (at SMU), so I’m OK.”

Notice how Brown never outright denies an interest in the Lakers job?

He can be thrilled where he is and thankful for his chance at SMU and moving forward at SMU – all while simultaneously wanting to coach the Lakers.

Brown is an excellent coach. He’s even better at navigating his way between jobs.

He knows what he’s doing here, and it’s possible his conversations with Kupchak turn more serious later. It’s unlikely Brown coaches the Lakers. Their search has been slow and wide.

But it’s likely Brown wants to return to the NBA at some point. I doubt he’d stop listening to inquiries just because he’s happy at SMU.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: UNLV freshman guard Rashad Vaughn to enter NBA draft; Vaughn denies it

Mar 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT

San Jose State v UNLV Getty Images

He is likely a middle second round pick if he comes out.

2. Blake Griffin nails impression of Austin Rivers (VIDEO)

Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v New York Knicks Getty Images

It’s pretty spot on. And cold-blooded.

3. Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs

Mar 27, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT

Kevin Durant Kevin Durant

He should be back next season, the final one of this contract with Oklahoma City.

4. High praise: Bob Cousy says Hassan Whiteside reminds him of Bill Russell

Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat Boston Celtics v Miami Heat

Cousey said not Shaq, not Ewing, nobody reminded him of Russell like Whiteside.

5. Report: Salary cap could rise to $105 million in 2017-18

Mar 27, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT

AP Money Found AP

As everyone braces for 2016 spike, another big bump could follow

6. Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push

Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Goran Dragic, Josh Tiven Goran Dragic, Josh Tiven

LeBron James and a lot of stature are gone, but with the more-modest goal of just making the playoffs, Miami’s new point guard embracing the challenge

7. Anthony Davis made 100 free throws in arena after Rockets loss

Mar 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Pelicans star missed eight free throws in setback to Houston

8. DeMarcus Cousins has response for fan who tells him to stop complaining about calls

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Houston at Sacramento Getty Images

Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.

9. Amar’e Stoudemire on retiring: “There’s a lot of high-level basketball left in me”

Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Stoudemire can give a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality play.

10. NBA admits incorrect no-call by referees on final play of Lakers’ overtime win over Timberwolves

Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves

A day later the league says Andrew Wiggins was fouled, but the officials let it go at the time.

11. Clippers holding off on re-signing Nate Robinson after second 10-day contract expires

Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers would need to ink Robinson for the rest of the season, but are waiting to see how quickly he can return after a recent knee injury.

12. Wizards coach Randy Wittman: ‘I don’t give a crap what Marreese Speights thinks’

Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Randy Wittman AP

Speights said the Warriors knew the Wizards would quit after Golden State beat them recently, and Washington’s coach responds.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches