Jun 3, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Technology has shrunk the globe. The days of being able to say things in one market and not have the rest of the world know about it are gone (although some politicians seems slow on the uptake).
As example 1A I bring you Tony Parker — the basketball world wants to know if the Spurs point guard is ready to go for Game 1 of the NBA Finals on Thursday in San Antonio. He sat out the second half of Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals with a sprained ankle.
Parker did a radio interview in his native France and answered that very question. It didn’t take long before Dan McCarney had Parkers’ words up the San Antonio Express News — and yes he is playing.
“I twisted my ankle in Game 4 of the first round against Dallas. I continued to play with the pain and I again twisted the ankle in Game 4 of the conference finals against Oklahoma City. I gritted my teeth; I did not mean to abandon my teammates. But the pain was too strong in the sixth game. I could not really play anymore.
“Today, I spend my days in treatment. But the good news is that I will play the first game of the Finals on Thursday against the Heat. I may not be 100% but I’ll be there. In 13 years, I played seven conference finals and I have the chance to play my fifth Finals with Spurs. This is really great. I continue my dream, this is really something great.”
Just how effective Parker ends up being will matter — he is the key to their offensive engine. Patty Mills and Corey Joseph can step in for a stretch, Manu Ginobili can run the offense for a while, but the Spurs really need Parker to run the offense. San Antonio needs him to abuse Chris Bosh as he comes off a pick and get into the paint, the Spurs need to work inside out.
We’ll see how explosive Parker looks Thursday night.
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 0
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 30
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 43