Tony Parker says on French radio station he will play in Game 1

Jun 3, 2014, 1:01 PM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game Three Getty Images

Technology has shrunk the globe. The days of being able to say things in one market and not have the rest of the world know about it are gone (although some politicians seems slow on the uptake).

As example 1A I bring you Tony Parker — the basketball world wants to know if the Spurs point guard is ready to go for Game 1 of the NBA Finals on Thursday in San Antonio. He sat out the second half of Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals with a sprained ankle.

Parker did a radio interview in his native France and answered that very question. It didn’t take long before Dan McCarney had Parkers’ words up the San Antonio Express News — and yes he is playing.

“I twisted my ankle in Game 4 of the first round against Dallas. I continued to play with the pain and I again twisted the ankle in Game 4 of the conference finals against Oklahoma City. I gritted my teeth; I did not mean to abandon my teammates. But the pain was too strong in the sixth game. I could not really play anymore.

“Today, I spend my days in treatment. But the good news is that I will play the first game of the Finals on Thursday against the Heat. I may not be 100% but I’ll be there. In 13 years, I played seven conference finals and I have the chance to play my fifth Finals with Spurs. This is really great. I continue my dream, this is really something great.”

Just how effective Parker ends up being will matter — he is the key to their offensive engine. Patty Mills and Corey Joseph can step in for a stretch, Manu Ginobili can run the offense for a while, but the Spurs really need Parker to run the offense. San Antonio needs him to abuse Chris Bosh as he comes off a pick and get into the paint, the Spurs need to work inside out.

We’ll see how explosive Parker looks Thursday night.

1. brookwell2013 - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Anybody out there really think Parker was not going to play in Game????? “Course he’s gonna go.

• aboogy123456 - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:46 PM

it’s not about whether or not he plays, it’s about how effective he is. For the first couple games in last year’s finals, he was unstoppable, but then he pulled his hamstring and still played, but was ineffective. Parker’s health is a huge factor in this series, and it seems like he’s getting injured so often these days.

• antistratfordian - Jun 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Parker wasn’t “unstoppable” in the first couple of games last year. He played well in Games 1 and 5, but averaged 12 pts on 33% in all the other games. In Game 2 he was -27 in +/- (13 pts on 14 shots, 35% FG).

2. finsfan71 - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Not only is he going to play but he’s probably gonna be 99.9% ready to go. What athlete in their right mind advertises a potential weakness in their game?

3. cantonb0und13 - Jun 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Why is there so many reports on Tony Parker about his ankle? Parker is going to be fine, he got 5 days off to rest.

4. jollyjoker2 - Jun 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM

well, at least he didn’t surrender.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches