Jun 3, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
You know what Lance Stephenson really wants this summer? To get paid. He is going to go to the team that offers him the most money. Now, if a couple teams are close on money then team quality, lifestyle, state taxes, weather and all the rest of it come into play, but it’s about the money. It’s always about the money.
Stephenson is an unrestricted free agent. Pacers’ president Larry Bird said he wants to bring his young swingman back, but the question ultimately becomes about cost — how much would you pay Stephenson? Will some GM come in over the top and really invest in Stephenson, betting on him and his game maturing.
All things being equal, Stephenson would love to return to the Pacers, his agent told Zagsblog.com.
One day after Larry Bird said he wants Lance Stephenson back with the Indiana Pacers, Stephenson’s agent told SNY.tv the two sides hope “to get a deal done.”
“They are a quality organization from the top down,” Alberto Ebanks told SNY.tv of the Pacers. “We are going to try to get a deal done. The communication has been there for the last four years with the Pacers and it has been beneficial for the Pacers and for Lance. I hope we can come to terms.”
The Pacers are already over the salary cap before they re-sign Lance Stephenson and they are not going tint the luxury tax. Which means they either need to re-sign Stephenson or find his replacement for the mid-level exception. Or get incredibly creative with a trade. The Pacers need more shot creation and Lance provides that, if inconsistently and with some antics.
Right now everything is just puppy dogs and rainbows as the Pacers and Stephenson’s representatives and the Pacers. Of course it is, there is no money on the table. We’ll see how the relationship is com July 7 or so.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 0
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 10
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31