Jun 3, 2014, 5:57 PM EST
Jeff Bower is well respected in NBA circles — people liked working with him when he was the general manager of the New Orleans Hornets. His Hornets made some great draft picks — Chris Paul, David West, Baron Davis — as well as head-scratching decisions, although how much of that was on him and how much was on the George Shinn ownership group is up for debate.
Most recently, Bower was the coach at Marist college.
Bower has gotten other chance in the big chair. The Pistons have made official what had been reported for days, Bower is the new GM of the Pistons, working under team president and coach Stan Van Gundy.
“I’m pleased to welcome Jeff Bower to the Detroit Pistons organization,” Van Gundy said in a statement. “Jeff brings great basketball knowledge and NBA experience to our organization and he’s enjoyed success in building teams. He’s a great evaluator of talent and Jeff will bring solid leadership to our front office.”
“I’m excited to join the Pistons organization and play a role in helping this franchise build on its great basketball tradition,” Bower said in his statement. “I look forward to working with Stan, his staff and everyone in the Pistons organization to put together a team that the community can support and be proud of. I’m also excited about ownership’s commitment to winning and their demonstrated commitment to the community.”
This is a good hire. Van Gundy is the one making the calls but he needs someone with good contacts around the league, someone with a good eye for drafting and talent, someone he can trust.
Bower will get that chance.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13