Jun 3, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
Jeff Bower is well respected in NBA circles — people liked working with him when he was the general manager of the New Orleans Hornets. His Hornets made some great draft picks — Chris Paul, David West, Baron Davis — as well as head-scratching decisions, although how much of that was on him and how much was on the George Shinn ownership group is up for debate.
Most recently, Bower was the coach at Marist college.
Bower has gotten other chance in the big chair. The Pistons have made official what had been reported for days, Bower is the new GM of the Pistons, working under team president and coach Stan Van Gundy.
“I’m pleased to welcome Jeff Bower to the Detroit Pistons organization,” Van Gundy said in a statement. “Jeff brings great basketball knowledge and NBA experience to our organization and he’s enjoyed success in building teams. He’s a great evaluator of talent and Jeff will bring solid leadership to our front office.”
“I’m excited to join the Pistons organization and play a role in helping this franchise build on its great basketball tradition,” Bower said in his statement. “I look forward to working with Stan, his staff and everyone in the Pistons organization to put together a team that the community can support and be proud of. I’m also excited about ownership’s commitment to winning and their demonstrated commitment to the community.”
This is a good hire. Van Gundy is the one making the calls but he needs someone with good contacts around the league, someone with a good eye for drafting and talent, someone he can trust.
Bower will get that chance.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10