Jun 2, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Stan Van Gundy, the Pistons’ new president and coach, needs a No. 2 in the front office.
Look no further than Jeff Bower, the former New Orleans Hornets general manager and current Marist College coach.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
The other reported challengers for the job – Stu Jackson, Scott Layden and Otis Smith – were hardly inspiring. By comparison, Bower was a slam dunk.
Even in isolation, this is a pretty solid hire.
Bower had his good moments with the Hornets – drafting Darren Collison and Marcus Thornton in the 2009 second round chief among them – but he was ultimately undone by George Shinn’s ownership and Chris Paul’s wandering eyes. New Orleans decided it couldn’t continue with the status quo, and that meant losing Bower.
Of course, Bower was far from perfect with the Hornets. Signing Peja Stojakovic to a big contract backfired, and he tried too hard to get rid of Tyson Chandler before Chandler blossomed into the second-best player on the Mavericks’ 2011 championship team.
Overall, Bower doesn’t have the strongest track record of potential hires. But that’s partially due to his résumé being so lengthy, leaving more time for flaws to emerge.
Bower – well-respected around the league – should help Van Gundy communicate with agents and other executives, two groups who might be relatively foreign to the first-time team president. Van Gundy made this about fit, and among the well-fitting candidates, Bower was Detroit’s best option.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11